We have a ingured hen... broken beack, roo damage

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by OrganicEggs75, Sep 12, 2010.

1. OrganicEggs75

OrganicEggs75 Mottled Rosecomb Heaven

Jul 27, 2010
    Ok so this hen showed up right... and is in horrible condition, not friendly and it was a big smack down to get pics. What can I do for her she will eat the chicks starter feed thats all really... What can i do for her?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Keep her quarantined from the rest of your flock. Looks like she is molting, which isn't a bit concern. Just need to provide some extra protein like hard boiled eggs, canned salmon, cat food. i do see some marks on the comb, which makes me think she may have the dry version of fowl pox. On the beak, just give her a bowl of food rather than the regular chicken feeder so she can scoop up the food.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    She is a battery layer hen that probably escaped from a truck taking her to be butchered. That explains the beak which was removed to stop pecking in the battery cage. She is in a heavy molt right now and is loaded with pin or blood feathers. Isolate her, feed a high protein diet and in a month or so she will be beautiful. She will be able to eat feed from a deep dish, but may have trouble picking up feed from the ground. Looks like a bonus chicken for you and extreme good luck for her.[​IMG]

4. Wendy'sChicksRock

Wendy'sChicksRock Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2010
    Oakland county ,MI
    awww I say Love her.. she will be super cute.. poor thing

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by