We have a new Cria!!!UPDATE! #2 is here!!!!!!

jkcove08

Songster
12 Years
Apr 12, 2007
Iowa
A cria is a baby alpaca.. We were not sure when she would have her baby since alpacas really dont even look pregnant with all the hair they have..lol Yesterday afternoon I noticed she was acting restless. I have 2 security cams in our barn and noticed something was off about 1:30. I ran out to see the nose just starting to come out. A half an hour later she gave birth to a wonderful baby girl. Franny is a medium fawn color and so was the dady so we were suprised to see a cream white baby appear. I took the hair dryer out and dried her a little since of course yesterday was cool and windy. Boy are they ugly when they are first born. The first thing I thought of was Yoda from starwars... Good thing it was a girl. She weighed 15 lbs and was 19 inches long. I have to measure her legs since I think they are as long as she is She has been bouncing around all morning. We have one more female that is due any time now. I am excited to see what color comes out of this one. She is a true black and the father is a medium rose gray. My luck it will be another black.lol Jenn

1454_009.jpg

1454_059.jpg

1454_060.jpg

Last edited:
Adorable!!!!!!!!
What is their temperament like? Are they like llamas?
Keep us posted on her and when the new cria arrives.
Thanks for sharing the pics with everyone. I've never seen a baby alpaca, only the adults.
Randi Lynn/Alabama

Hey Angel,
They actually are very calm. My 2 and 5 yr old boys can go in and out without a problem. They will spit like a llama but not very often, if they do it is at each other over food. Most of them dont like being handled or petted though. You really want to just hug and cuddle on them and they want nothing to do with that. Franny was the most timid of all of the girls and after I started handling her baby she came right up and stuck her face in mine, of course then I got that thought" please dont spit on me...lol" She still wont let you touch her much but is OK with me handling her baby. They are certainly calmer then horses.lol Jenn

Hey Sharon, We had 3 hatch. Not to bad, they were all nice light colored chicks. Thanks a bunch. Jenn

big_smile.png
Oh! So cute! It would be hard to not cuddle something that cute...might be worth getting spit on....lol.

Back
Top Bottom