WE HAVE A NEW LITTLE CHICK How long should we give others to hatch?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by allquackedup, Aug 31, 2009.

1. allquackedup

allquackedup Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2009
    Southern Maryland
    Success!!! We had our first little RIR chick hatch last night! [​IMG] It was so exciting! It is chirping away today, we started with 12 eggs, one went bad so we got rid of it, we tried candling the others but just to hard to see what's inside brown eggs.... We were affraid we didnt have any fertilized but.... Out this little one popped! we have 10 other eggs- Not sure how long to keep other eggs. Following is our time line-- we put all eggs under heat lamp for first three days while we waited for bator to arrive (we hand turned them for those three days) Once bator arrived and maintained temp/humidity we transferred the eggs to the bator which we bought with egg turner. Last night was day 21 from the first day we put them under the heat light. Since we are newbies not sure how long we should give other 10 eggs- Don't want to abandon them to early but I dont want them going bad and exploding in our bator either. Temp is holding at 99 and humidity is around 65 percent. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am sure we will have many more questions on our lil chick but for now just really need to know what to do about other eggs. Thanks so much!!!

2. eggsrcool

eggsrcool Sussex Fanatic

Congratulations! You can leave the chick in there for upto 2 days. You may want to leave the eggs in the 'bator until day 25. Have you tried candling?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by