We have a pip!

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by shchinchillas, May 19, 2011.

1. shchinchillas

shchinchillas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    PA
    Placed 14 turkey eggs in the incubator 28 days ago... Ended up with 7 that did not develop at all when candled, and 7 that did... so a total of 7 made it to lockdown. Before I left for work we had one starting to pip. I'll be able to check on them again tomorrow morning so hoping all goes well, and the other 6 start to do SOMETHING!

Cross your fingers for the 7 to hatch for me! This is my first attempt for turkey eggs!

2. Alexander

Alexander Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Greece
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. shchinchillas

Jul 8, 2010
    PA
    Someone else has pipped today... the first one hasn't had much change... hoping he'll start progressing soon!

4. Lagerdogger

Lagerdogger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    Aitkin, MN
    My turkeys took a long time to go from first crack to out. I thought they must all be dying when they broke into their air sack. Turned out that all but 1 hatched. Good Luck! [​IMG]

5. shchinchillas

Jul 8, 2010
    PA
    Good to hear that! I was starting to get worried about the first that maybe he died, and thats why there isn't more change... I will patiently(not) keep waiting!

6. shchinchillas

Jul 8, 2010
    PA
    No idea what happened but both stopped pipping. Tried to assist them, but they were already dead. The others did not pip at all, and we are now on day 30.

Looks like this trial run was a total bust! I think I may just order a few poults next year, or if I can find anything local this year.

7. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    So sorry.

8. whenchickensdream

whenchickensdream Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2009
    That is so disappointing. Sorry.

9. Duckles

Duckles Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    West Mass
    [​IMG] sorry, I just had a 0/0 hatch last week (geese). It's hard to get to that point and have no results. All the grain stores by me are doing chick days right now. Maybe if you call around you'll find some extra poults?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by