We have a rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by AidynElyMama, Aug 16, 2011.

1. AidynElyMama

AidynElyMama Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2011
    I have been under the impression that we have a coop full of ladies, but apparently, I was wrong. I have had three fertilized eggs this week! The problem is....

There is no crowing. I haven't seen any obvious mating going on. I see no combs or spurs bigger than the rest. This mystery rooster is blending into the crowd somehow!

I feel like I am going nuts. Any advice or some way to find this guy that I have overlooked?

TIA [​IMG]

2. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    What makes you think that your eggs are fertilized??

3. AidynElyMama

Mar 6, 2011
    They have the bloody speck in them, two were just the beginning dot, the other was much larger.

4. Chick1043

Chick1043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    I have you ever seen on of your birds mate with another? I'm really confused by this. Can you take pics of fertilized eggs so we can see?

5. AidynElyMama

Mar 6, 2011
    [​IMG]

6. crazy4spurs

crazy4spurs Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2011
    San Antonio, Texas
    One of my eggs had a large blood spot the other day and I did research and read that the blood spot doesn't mean that they are fertile...just means that a blood vessel burst during the laying process. But I am really really new to this and not completely sure. I am 98% sure I have all girls, but I guess one never knows:)

7. AidynElyMama

Mar 6, 2011
    Quote:That makes me feel better. Growing up, I remember my mom telling me that a small blood dot meant it was fertilized...but maybe that isn't the case here!

8. crazy4spurs

crazy4spurs Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2011
    San Antonio, Texas
    Your picture is exactly what I had the other morning. I am leaning on the "not fertilized" egg scenario....makes me feel better too:)

9. AidynElyMama

Mar 6, 2011
    Thank you [​IMG]

10. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    No, blood spots don't mean the eggs are fertilized. I don't have a rooster and some of my girls will lay eggs like that -- big spots, small spots, 1 or 2, or what seems like a million. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by