We have a stinker!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Bantam Chase, Jul 24, 2011.

1. Bantam Chase

Bantam Chase Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2011
    SC PA
    Today is day 7 and I"ve been having humidity issues. I lifted the lid to let some moisture out and caught a whiff of MAJOR EWWW. Smelled all 24 eggs, one was definitely the culprit and 2 others got penciled as possibles - I'll give them another sniff tomorrow.

I've played with the LED flashlight and really can't see much of anything going on - I"m hoping the light just isn't bright enough. A dozen of these eggs were refrigerated, the other dozen came from my parents flock with the 10 year old rooster. Its an LG 'bator so I put it in the basement where the room temperature is the most stable, unfortunately it has very high humidity even with a dehumidifier... I've been running high 40's with no water in the trays. I know its only day 7 but i'm feeling a bit discouraged and thinking of possibly ordering chicks instead of eggs to hatch. *Sigh* with quail I didn't care and just hatched for fun with great success, now the pressure is on and I"m a wreck!

2. Bantam Chase

Jul 11, 2011
    SC PA
    And another one bites the dust today!

3. ReikiStar

ReikiStar Chillin' With My Peeps

Your humidity is just fine. Don't worry about it. And good job on finding the stinkers.

4. Bantam Chase

Jul 11, 2011
    SC PA
    Lol, it wasn't that hard - open the incubator and gag... sniff each egg until I gag again!

5. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    I hope you get some good ones in the mix.

I have a horrible sense of smell, so I worry that I wouldn't be able to tell.

This really came in handy when I was changing diapers, so it's not all bad.

6. dconf

dconf Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2011
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by