We have a visitor, possible rat

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by millerchix, Dec 30, 2012.

1. millerchix

millerchix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2012
    We have discovered there is a rat, we think since we have not seen, that comes to our coop. The coop is attached to a garden shed. We go into the shed to get the eggs from the nesting boxes. In November I went to get the eggs and it was dark. All I heard was a loud hiss and movement from behind me. I am in WA State so snakes is not possible. I had a light with me but whatever it was hid or ran. Since then we have only had 2 more encounters. My husband believes it to be a rat. No chickens have been harmed. Should we just set a trap in the shed to kill it? Any advice is appreciated.
    TIA

2. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Yes set a trap. I wouldn't put any poison out because your chickens might get into it.

3. millerchix

millerchix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2012
    Will a rat attack the hens?

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Not likely to go after full grown hens. Young chicks perhaps and certainly the feed.

5. Cknldy

Cknldy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2012
    Appalachian mtns
    A hiss? What about an opossum? Quick and slick creatures. It may have figured out there's a meal on the other side but not how to get to it yet. Set a small creature trap with cat food- a lot of creatures go for it. As for rats, I like the box live traps myself cuz u can get more than 1 at a time and don't have to worry about unintended people/pets getting snapped.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by