We have an egg!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Hydro, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Hydro

Hydro New Egg

Aug 22, 2013
    Cape Town, South Africa
    Well, after a weekend of listening to my chickens clucking away a bit too loudly for my comfort ( we live in a residential area in Cape Town, S.Africa ) we finally have our first egg. My son was the lucky one to pluck it out of the nesting box. We haven't cooked it yet - it's been proudly displayed in the kitchen for all and sundry to see. It's the first time we've ever kept chickens, so it's quite a momentous day :)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    YEAH!!!!

I can still remember my first egg from my own chickens. It's a proud moment isn't it?

If a neighbor ever says anything about a cackling chicken find the most annoying noise in the neighborhood and bring that to their attention.

I did that with a neighbor once. They really were not complaining (at that point anyway) about some clucking and I said "ya know I would rather listen to my hen cackle a few minutes after she's laid an egg than I would that darn dog two doors up that never shuts up or the kid down the street that thinks we all love the sound his overly loud motorcycle he runs up and down the street at least a half a dozen times a night" Ya know she never said another word about a clucking chicken again. ;-)

ENJOY ALL THOSE FRESH EGGS.

1 person likes this.
  3. Hydro

Hydro New Egg

Aug 22, 2013
    Cape Town, South Africa
    Hey Scooter

Exactly lol - most of our neighbours have dogs (which we don't ), and our closest neighbour has an affinity for playing the drums, so I think we're on solid ground for our case regarding noise [​IMG] Also, it's almost spring here and the local geese are making an awful racket every morning - and our chickens are NOTHING compared to that lot. So for now, I think we're ok. If not, we'll placate them with a tray of free-range eggs :).
    Thanks for your reply
    Have a great afternoon all the way in Missouri
    G

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by