We have babies and

sweettea75

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 5, 2013
the dogs keep trying to tell me that there is something in the kitchen that I need to come see. Come see, mom! Whine whine!

Our brooder is a rubbermaid tote inside the dog crate, which has turned out to be a brilliant idea because I didn't anticipate the dogs wanting to see the chicks quite so bad. I was more worried about the cat, but she seems like she couldn't care less about the chicks.

Also, I had to explain to my kids that, no, we cannot name one of the chicks Pecker. :rofl

the dogs keep trying to tell me that there is something in the kitchen that I need to come see. Come see, mom! Whine whine!

Our brooder is a rubbermaid tote inside the dog crate, which has turned out to be a brilliant idea because I didn't anticipate the dogs wanting to see the chicks quite so bad. I was more worried about the cat, but she seems like she couldn't care less about the chicks.

Also, I had to explain to my kids that, no, we cannot name one of the chicks Pecker. :rofl

:}

Congrats on the new additions...isn't it funny how our other animals are so curious about the newbies!? My cats all came running when I walked into the house with a loudly peeping box. They all had that look on their faces like "Great, what in the H-E-Double Hockeysticks is this woman bringing in the house now?!"

Give them a few days and then it just becomes another noise. I wonder if your dogs think that's just a crate full of self-squeezing squeeky toys?
big_smile.png

Have fun with them!

Congrats on the new additions...isn't it funny how our other animals are so curious about the newbies!? My cats all came running when I walked into the house with a loudly peeping box. They all had that look on their faces like "Great, what in the H-E-Double Hockeysticks is this woman bringing in the house now?!"

Give them a few days and then it just becomes another noise. I wonder if your dogs think that's just a crate full of self-squeezing squeeky toys?
big_smile.png

Have fun with them!
My cats have murder written all over them... They're in paradise with chicks brooding in the basement and in the livingroom! I have to be extra dilligent with being sure the lids are tightly secured and not tending chicks unless I know where the cats are.

I was worried about our cats and they've been completely fine. The first time they saw the chicks outside they got interested and we snapped and told them no and they haven't given them a second glance for weeks. We still aren't trusting them too much, but two of the chicks got out for about 20 mins with two cats in the room and the cats didn't harass them at all.

I was worried about our cats and they've been completely fine. The first time they saw the chicks outside they got interested and we snapped and told them no and they haven't given them a second glance for weeks. We still aren't trusting them too much, but two of the chicks got out for about 20 mins with two cats in the room and the cats didn't harass them at all.
Don't let your guard down. When I was a kid, I had this cat who I was convinced had learned that my wonderful little parakeet was a pet and not like the outside birds. He left it alone, until one day, he snagged it out of the air and broke it's neck.

Don't let your guard down.  When I was a kid, I had this cat who I was convinced had learned that my wonderful little parakeet was a pet and not like the outside birds.  He left it alone, until one day, he snagged it out of the air and broke it's neck.

Thank you for the reminder. Definitely important to remember they're still hunters. Sorry about your parakeet :(

My cat when we very first brought chicks home, many years ago she acted like she wanted to get them, but we used to chase her with a chick, and she went running. then every here after that we'd bring home a box of chicks she would hear them peep and run off. we don't do that any more because we don't have too. her chasing days are about over she is 16 now and only lays about. We keep the chicks in house when they are little. cat only goes in the mudroom. She is funny. she is afraid of the chickens or any flappy bird.

Back
Top Bottom