We have babies

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LilyD, Aug 13, 2011.

1. LilyD

LilyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    So far we now have 8 babies out of 12 eggs that were shipped. 4 to go that aren't showing any signs of hatching as of yet. When I look at the newly hatched chicks that hatched between yesterday and today I can see that some already have larger combs than others, they are just kind of folded over. Are these boys? It's the first time I noticed combs in new hatched babies before.

[​IMG]

2. KatieBugg

KatieBugg Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2010
    Holts Summit, MO
    Very CUTE!!!! What kind of chicks?? I noticed bigger combs on some of my chicks in the past, I didn't mark or write down wether they ended up being boys or girls...lol Might have to do that!

3. LilyD

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    They are Delaware chicks I am still waiting for 4 more but these all hatched in the last 24 hours and they all look amazing. I forgot how much babies sleep lol.

4. farmgirlforever18

farmgirlforever18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2010
    Dublin TEXAS
    aww how sweet i had a few hatch and one had a bigger cone then the others and it turned out to be a rooster but they were BO's [​IMG]

5. LilyD

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    I am going to have to keep an eye on these guys. If the larger combs at hatching means roo then I am in trouble lol I think I have maybe 3 girls so far and the rest would be boys. I wanted girls to keep for breeding and maybe one boy but not mostly all boys and only a few girls hehe. Maybe they are just girls with big combs. One can hope.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by