1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

We have been sick... now the dog is too?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Fancie, Dec 18, 2009.

1. Fancie

Fancie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Illinois
    I didn't think diseases could get passed from people to animals... but the dog is now sick with near the same symptoms as us. Is there anything that can be passed from people to animals?

2. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    There were reports that a family that had swine flu passed it to their cat.......

3. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    what are your symptoms .. be sure you aren't being "poisoned" by some toxin in the house -- carbon monoxide, etc.

Hope you all feel better soon.

4. fancbrd4me02

fancbrd4me02 Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree that you should make sure some toxin isn't poisoning. There are detectors & test kits you can get at home depot for almost nothing. I asked my vet about dog getting the flu, and they said it was virtually impossible, but that there are dog flus, which are passed from dogs and it can be serious. If your dog vomits too much, take him to the vet. He could become dehydrated and die.

5. babylady4

babylady4 Mother Goose

Mar 30, 2009
    Central WI
    Yes dogs and cats can get some of the same illnesses people get.

6. DancesWithWolves

DancesWithWolves Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Theres this one disease called Newcastle disease that can be passed from chickens to other Animals. If you live in an Area with ticks you could have Lyme Disease (or ohter tick born diseas) and your dog just happend to get it too..... Swine flu can be passed from Swine to People and to cats but I have never heard of a dog.

7. Fancie

Oct 31, 2008
    Illinois
    There isn't any polite way to put this... but we all seem to have the runs... we were told to give the dog pepto bismol and see if that helps and if not see the vet...

I tell you what thou... when it comes to a long haired dog it's not pretty. Poor Bubbles.

8. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    You might want to have your water supply checked.

9. Picky Chicky

Picky Chicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2008
    Holly Grove, VA
    The short answer is - Yes.

The long answer is... our DD has a condition called PANDAS (Pedatric AutoImmune Disorder Associated with Strep). In our growing online and local community of parents and children dealing with this, I've learned that there is a lot I didn't know about many things - this one included. Without explaining indepth about PANDAS, just know that strep = bad in children with PANDAS.

I have a local friend whose DD had PANDAS and she kept getting strep despite extremely strong antibiotics. Everyone in the family had been given the antibiotics as a preventative measure, and their DD was taken out of school. The doctor asked the family if they owned a pet, and they did - a dog. The doctor said it was a strange request, but that he needed their dog to be tested for strep. It was costly, and the vet actually refused to do the test until the family doctor called and explained the situation.

An even longer story short... the dog tested positive for strep and was the cause (for that particular case) of their DD's reoccuring strep.

Who knew?! [​IMG]

[Edited for grammar]

Last edited: Dec 18, 2009
  10. Fancie

Oct 31, 2008
    Illinois
    We don't drink our water or use it for anything but bathing and laundry....

Picky Chicky
    My son has been getting pnemonia alot latly, hospitalize twice and diagonosed with it again a couple days ago... can that be connected? We haven't heard anything about strep thou.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by