We have "completed" our new hen house ... Palatial Estates

MolleEnrico715

Hatching
10 Years
Feb 5, 2009
Memphis
It is 4 ft. by 8 ft. Made from 2 x 6s; 2 x 4s; 1/2" thick plywood sheathing, shingle roof, 12x12 floor tiles (they only cost us .05 cents each); it's wired inside for heat and lighting. We used hardware cloth for the windows and eaves vents and we purchased clear light fixture ceiling tiles (.99 cents each) so we could slide them in/over the windows and cover them in colder weather yet still let light in. We have a sliding egg door and are using milk crates for the nesting boxes. We have 3ft x 2ft barn doors at the other end so it opens wide for cleaning. The roosts are rounded off 2 x 4s, (they are removable too for cleaning)

Final cost sans paint, $185.00.

More pictures to follow.

very nice
thumbsup.gif

ps, love your avatar

These are our girls.. Milly, Myrtle, and Flo.
22485_the_girls.jpg

They are going to be "limited" in 1/2 the space they normally have for about 2 months. Normally they have a 14 x 30 foot run... we're going to make it about 14 x 18 until all the grass comes in; otherwise they eat the seedlings as they pop up! Once the grass is up ... they'll have their extended coop back. They love to walk on the grass as much as they love to eat it.

We opted to take the slider out of the front window... mainly bec. as we were putting the red primer coat on, it broke. So ... our neighbor who is renovatin his house was dumping the old/regular windows... and one of them fit the front exactly .. so we are going to put that up and make it removable in summer. This way they can see out too.

Thanks for kind words. The "well thought out" plans came about because we combed all the pictures/plans on the BYC site and went with a combination of many of ya'lls features.

COOL COOP! That sliding edd door is sooo neat. I laso made egg raiding easy and took some steps for esy cleaning. You could also make a slide out bottom like mine because of the size of your coop. It makes cleaning and replacing the bottom much easier. Take a look at my BYC Coop page.

Back
Top Bottom