We have ducklings!!!!! pics added

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by sandcat, Nov 1, 2010.

1. sandcat

sandcat Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    I went to check on my mummy duck this morning and joy of joys she came out with about 10 ducklings:celebrate:love:ya:woot, they are all beautiful and their mumma is so good with them. I will give her some space as she rushes them away if we go outside, i will get some pics when i can, they are all safley enclosed so nothing can get in or out. Im soooo happy and excited and all those good things yey!!!!

Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
  2. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    [​IMG] Um, pics please!

3. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Congratulations. Is it the one that sat tight under the blackbery bush when the other duck was leaving the nest that is the new Momma???

4. sandcat

Sep 1, 2010
    Quote:Yes this is the one!!!! We took the little brown duck(bad mumma) out of the encloseure on friday night and no more dead ducklings!!! Im not sure how many of the ducklings are actually hers but she is a fab mumma to them all.

5. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Oh, I'm glad that you took that other mama out. I think she resented having to be a mother and it's good that the other mama wanted to be one and could take care of all the eggs/babies.

6. sandcat

Sep 1, 2010
    Thanks everyone that gave advice, i followed all that advice and am so pleased that i did, now i have beautiful babies:)

7. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Well done... I am so happy for you that you have the one good mother. It really is hard to tell with first time sitters how well they will do. Some ducks are great sitters but terrible mothers when the babies actually hatch- others a just great at everything. Instincts are stronger in some than others I suppose- but in the end- 10 babies is a great result.

8. sandcat

Sep 1, 2010
    We just want to cuddle all the ducklings but the mumma duck doesnt like us even looking at them so i guess we wont be actually touching them:( ive seen heaps of pics on this forum with the kids holding the ducklings and it looks like sooo much fun, im going to do the right thing by mumma duck and let her be.

9. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    So sorry you cant have a snuggle with them. Cuddling ducklings is lovely- but not when you have to upset a momma duck to do it. Thats one of the benefits of having an incubator- you get to hand raise them and cuddle them all the time- but then there is the messy brooders to clean.
    With yours are outside you dont have the smelly mess to deal with - At least you can still watch them from a distance and enjoy them that way.

10. sandcat

Sep 1, 2010
    Here are some pics of our babies, mumma duck is very protective and didnt like me getting close one bit, arnt they just the cutest!!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by