We have eggs!!!! Pics included.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hawtchick, Nov 3, 2008.

1. hawtchick

hawtchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I went out to let the girls and guys out last week and to my surprise, found one egg sitting out in the open, then looked around and found a nest with 5 eggs, yes 5 in it.
    All probably medium sized. Then the BIG one came. I can't even get it to fit in an egg carton. [​IMG]
    It seems to me that I only have one girl laying (one of my buff comets) because I have only seen one of them on the nest. Would they share nests?? and how likely is it that the BIG egg came from her as well??
    FWIW, all my girls are 22 weeks.
    21 when I got my first egg.

pics to follow.........

Here they are:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and some of the flock:

[​IMG]

and the boys:

[​IMG]

Frank our last Guinea hen....poor fella
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 3, 2008
  2. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    Congrats on the eggs!! Thanks for sharing those pics, your birds are gorgeous and look very content. [​IMG]

3. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Congratulations! I have a buff golden comet who lays eggs like that regularly, so get used to it- probably double yolked!

Nice...

4. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    It's funny, I see you mark your eggs too. I did that until I wanted to sell them then I thought I should erase them because people would think they were old if they were layed a week before. Most people don't know how old eggs are when you buy them in a store. I didn't until I came on there.

Anyway, my DD loves the double yokers.

Congratulations on your eggs.

5. hawtchick

hawtchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I mark my eggs for now, only because I KNOW that the eggs we used to by at the store were NOT fresh, so even if these were 2 weeks old they are fresher than store ones.
    I like to buy local, and hopefully now we wont have to.[​IMG]
    If we get going good and start selling then maybe I will stop if people complain. [​IMG]

6. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

Congrats Nice size eggs..... and nice Flock [​IMG]

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Congratulations!!! Great pics.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by