We have gotten some bloody eggs.....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kbell, Oct 1, 2011.

1. kbell

kbell Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2010
    Chickamauga GA
    Went to get the eggs and several were very bloody. I have noticed one every once in a while but the last couple of days, there has been several. What is going on and what do I need to do? Thanks in advance, Kim in GA

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:You need to do nothing..Blood sometimes appears on the eggs from then hens pelvic joints being stretched to accommodate the larger size of the eggs coming out. As long as you dont see massive amounts of blood, your girls are fine. The blood comes in very light streaks to dark and heavy looking streaks down the eggs. This happens every year to me after the girls have a molt..Eggs are larger yah me!!! Boo for the girls!

3. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    Agree. Do nothing. It's normal, although unpleasant for both parties involved.

4. kbell

kbell Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2010
    Chickamauga GA
    Thanks to the both of you for putting my mind at ease. I just didn't want something going on and not know how to fix it. Kim from GA

5. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Well, it depends on how much blood, too. One of our little bantams, Hermione, had a an internal injury. It wasn't just a streak or two of blood, but quite a bit on the egg. And if you looked at her cloaca, you could see blood just inside. The vet was not optimistic about her prognosis since she'd come close to being eggbound a few weeks previously.

But we encouraged her to go broody, and the rest from egglaying let her heal up inside. When she started laying again, she was fine and has laid steadily since then with no problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by