We have hawks. Can I let my chicks out for a short while?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Moogie, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Moogie

Moogie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2011
    DFW, Texas
    My two BC Marans are in a 12x15 hoop coop. But I'd like to let them out to run around in the evening, under my close supervision. Is this possible? Would a hawk attack them if I'm right there?
    I have a wonderful golden retriever who is very calm around my chicks - I wondered if having her out there would help deter the hawks.

Also, how do I get them back in the pen? I thought if I let them out late enough, it would be easier to herd them back.

I'd appreciate any help! Thanks!

2. Moogie

Jun 12, 2011
    DFW, Texas
    I forgot - My two BCMs are 5 months old - not laying yet, but soon, I hope!

3. Kuntrygirl70

Kuntrygirl70 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2011
    If I am outside I let my chickens out, but I would b close. One day a couple of years ago I let them out of the coop during deer season and went out hunting late in the day to catch the evening hunt, thinking I would only be gone a couple of hours, when I came up one of my bannys were gone. As far as our chickens go they all go back in the coop at darktime, some later than others. You really dont have to hurd them up, funny I have a golden and a german shepard who dont pay any attention to the chickens either, unless they go near a treat or dog food dish, then they just chase them away![​IMG]

4. hannakat

hannakat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Beaver County, PA
    Hawks won't come when you're around and I doubt they'd come when your dog is there.

If you open the door and let the chicks out, they will usually travel in a group for a while and will generally head back to the coop if they get scared. It takes a little while of exploring for them to really get into it. I've never had trouble herding them back in so give it a try. You'll have fun (and so will the chickies)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  5. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    Getting them back can be tricky. I get mine in with their favourite treat, shaken in a container they recognise. Mine come running after me, line up and get in the run. Good luck!

6. Kuntrygirl70

Kuntrygirl70 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2011
    I forgot to ask u, have u had them all of their 5 months?

7. angidee

angidee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2010
    Washington
    I would suggest doing so during the day time x hours before dusk (x=number of hours you are comfortable with). Just before dusk, they will wonder back to their coop.

8. Moogie

Jun 12, 2011
    DFW, Texas
    Thanks so much for all the replies - I'm definitely going to try this! I've only had them for a couple of weeks and am really enjoying them. I just thought they'd enjoy chasing bugs and running around.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by