We have layers now at 21 week old, what to feed

Mommysongbird

Crowing
12 Years
Mar 17, 2011
Small Town, Virginia
This is what our mill carries (just copied and pasted from their web site)

POULTRY FEEDS

We stock Starter & Grower Crumbles in 25 lb and 100 lb bags.

We also stock Lay Crumbles and Lay Pellets, both in 25 lb and 100 lb bags.

We have Hen Scratch (a mix of wheat and cracked corn) in 25 lb and 100 lb bags.

We have Whole Corn (100 lb bags), Cracked Corn (100 lb bags)

and Intermediate Cracked Corn (20 lb and 100 lb bags).

Should I just get Lay crumbles (they are on grower crumbles now) OR

Should I buy lay crumbles and hen scratch and cracked corn????

Our mill is not open today, but one of our local grocery stores (family owned) carries some of the feeds at their store, so I thought I would just go there are buy a bag for now. I know they carry the Hen Scratch, and maybe the layer food.

I feed mine layer pellets. The layer crumbles seem to get lost on the ground... if they knock the pellets out onto the ground they can still see it to eat it. I also give scratch in the cold months as a treat. I have read that you don't want to feed scratch in the warm months because corn raises the body temp. I also throw out leftovers and end pieces of veggies from the kitchen.

I would get the layer pellets and mix it in with the last of your crumbles. They may turn up their noses at the pellets at first.

As far as scratch, mine get a few handfuls tossed in the run every morning all year 'round and we get plenty hot here in the summer. Personally I don't think it raises body temp substantially enough to make a difference. Especially if they are only getting a little bit as a treat.

Quote:
I agree with the others, pellets when you switch. We have used the method above with fussy pullets and the mixed pellets and crumbles was something they saw as a treat and they would pick the pellets out first thinking they were getting away with something
lol.png

Last edited:
I stuck with the crumbles, just changed to "layer" crumbles. I have the feeder hanging from the ceiling of the coop about 12 inches or so off the ground and they don't seem to waist any. I also give a few hand fulls of scratch in the run daily as a treat and it's HOT here. Didn't seem to affect them at all, not that I noticed anyway. They also get plenty of treats from the kitchen and refilled waterers several times a day to keep it nice and cool.
cool.png
(They free range too durning the day)

Last edited:
Well, all the store had was layer crumbles, so I went ahead and got that and I will pick up a back of pellets before this is all gone along with the scratch later next week.

Thanks all.

Back
Top Bottom