We have new girls :o(

urbanfarmers

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 23, 2010
Bellevue, Nebraska
My husband decided he wanted more laying hens so he purchased more yesterday. I was fine with it until I saw that they are not full reds but mixed...he said I'm a chicken snob because I don't want them now.....I wanted full reds only!!! Any way, here is my issue. The new girls will not go in their run and stay packed in their coop. I have tried treats and shooing them out of the coop, but they just stay huddled in the corner of the coop. I'm sure part of it is because it's a new joint and they have to adjust, but I was wondering if they will ever learn to be chickens and walk around and explore. I guess I was just expecting my new girls to act like my other chickens but it's like they are afraid of being outside....which leads me to believe these poor things were locked up in a building and never saw the light of day....which I think is absolutely awful!!! I just want all of my chickens to be normal!!!!

Patience. Chickens do NOT adjust quickly to change. They are, after all, "Chickens." New lodgings, new arrangements, new foods, all these things make them cautious. They didn't grow up there with you and your first girls. Give 'em a few days and they'll be all over that yard.

And I'm one of those who has a very varied flock - all kinds of breeds! Colorful. Easy to tell the chickens apart at a glance!

Nprmal?? I didn't think any chickens were normal. A chicken psychiatrist would say there is no normal. They just need time to aclimate. At least they have each other which will help. When one gets brave enough to venture out they all will follow suit. Why not ask your husband where they came from or how they were raised - not to jump on him but just for informational purposes. Do you have them separated from the rest of your flock? Newcomers should be quarantined to be sure they are bringing in disease or pest issues.

My husband said he doesn't know much about the person he bought them from except that he has hundreds so I'm thinking he is in the chicken business for money only.
hit.gif

Yes, the new girls have their own pad. They have ventured out a little but are staying close to one another and close to their coop. I'm sure they are in shock I just want them to know that they have a better home now. Oh I hate to see animals that are scared.
hide.gif

Quote:
Sounds like the "chicken snob" is getting attached!
wink.png

There's nothing wrong with being a chicken snob, btw. But I'm glad you're starting to get attached and I'm sure you are absolutely right about them having a better home now! Tell your husband to quit teasing you and let you come to terms with the changes too! Good luck with your new girls. I hope they bring you plenty of eggs and entertainment.

RM, yes, I do think I'm a chicken snob!
lol.png
My plan was NOT to get attached to the new girls on the block but I think I am...kind of. I shooed them out of their coop yesterday and encouraged them to go into the run but every time I left they went back to their coop and stayed there. Good news though....last night I went out to check on them after dinner and several were walking around and I think I saw some of them scratching in the dirt! They were a little less scared of me and I even picked one up for a minute. When I tried to put her back in the run she just sat there and wouldn't move so I rubbed her neck and head (and talked to her a bit) and she calmed down a lot and still wouldn't move. Finally I picked her up and put her in the run and she turned and looked at me like I had lost my mind!
big_smile.png
So all in all I think they are realizing this pad is waaaay better than their old one but I also think they have a long way to go. Guess I will just keep working with them and hope they come around even more. Would love them to come running when I get to their run like my other flock does when I go to theirs. Better yet I would love to see them get all excited when they see the boys...my boys love to pick grass and toss it into the run and watch the chickens eat it...they think it's the funniest thing in the world (maybe to toddlers it is)!!

Back
Top Bottom