We have Pheasants now and some pics

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by Steve_of_sandspoultry, Apr 26, 2009.

1. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

Thanks to Bearfoot farms we now have 10 ringneck pheasants in the brooder. They came by to get some chicks and rabbits yesterday and told us a local feed store had some. Needless to say we were right there [​IMG]
    Pics to follow

Steve in NC

Last edited: Apr 26, 2009
  2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Waiting for the pics! [​IMG]

3. CARS

CARS Chillin' With My Peeps

Congratulations... I guess [​IMG]

Did you want Pheasants?

After looking at your signature I am under the impression that you are trying to get a little of every type of fowl out there [​IMG][​IMG]

4. Steve_of_sandspoultry

We had been tossing the idea around for awhile now.

It all started last year we ordered a batch of jumbo guineas - somebody messed up and we got 5 pheasants with our order.

We lost 2 and ended up with a trio (I never have luck like that. lol) Anyway, the 2 hens scalped the cock. They took all the feathers off the top of his head. We nursed him back to health and a few weeks later he killed himself by flying into the top of the booder box he was in. The two hens are doing fine and now live with some Black Copper Marans. They are laying and having a grand old time, so we decided to get some more.... you can never have enough birds. lol [​IMG]

[​IMG]

These aren't bird related except the guineas range out in the fields around the house but it is such a nice morning a snapped a few pics on the way to the brooder barn.

[​IMG]

And these are the signs that greet people. lol

[​IMG]

Steve in NC

Last edited: Apr 26, 2009
  5. sweetshoplady

sweetshoplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Venice, Florida
    How adorable! Congrats on your new babies!

6. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    [​IMG] In two weeks they will be flying out of that brooder!

7. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Quote:You read my mind, I figured they would be jumpers/flyers early. We have 2 covered brooders in the back room.

I have found one thing about them already, they were just picking at the food here and there. I put a new shiny quarter on top of the food tray and they were all over it.......hmmm gold digging pheasants??? Who would have thought.

Steve

8. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    They drink A LOT of water though. The food helps to be on a little plate, at first so they they can walk on it and peck it, then they "tell" their friends and they get the idea, so you put the bigger feeder in.

9. Steve_of_sandspoultry

They are active little guys, most don't want you anywhere near them but there is a few that will come up and check out your hands when you reach in.

Steve

10. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    I'm glad you were able to get the pheasants!

All the chicks we got from you are doing great, and the rabbits seem happy. We got the shed cleaned out, and I'm waiting for some wire to come in so I can start building the permanent cages.

I still havent figured out how it is that I left the house intending to buy 4 chicks, and came home with 16 chicks and 3 rabbits! LOL

And now my wife is talking about Muscovys. It never ends!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by