We have Pheasants now? couple of questions

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by quailboy 73, Jan 26, 2011.

1. quailboy 73

quailboy 73 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2011
    Southeast Georgia
    I have 3 common pheasants 1 rooster and 2 hens. How much room does a pheasant need? I know quail need like 3.5 sq ft. Believe or not i have them in with my bobowhites for about a week now everything going good. I hope i havent spoke to soon:eek:

2. Talihofarms

Talihofarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2010
    When breeding season comes, your rooster will not be so friendly.

10 sq .ft .per bird is what keeps our pheasants from feeling cramped.

10x20 is a good sized run to maxamize netting and poultry wire.

just my.02

3. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    I would get them out of the quail cage as soon as possible...

4. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:X2 DAYS ARE GETTING LONGER ALL THE TIME-- MINE ARE ALREADY BREEDING AND LAYING DOWN HERE. WONT BE LONG UNTIL YOURS START AND THEN IT GETS, OR CAN VERY WELL GET UGLY FAST

5. Robo

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    Yep, I don't know when they will start here because I sold my last few. Well at least I'll have another pair or two by Spring.[​IMG]

6. quailboy 73

Jan 14, 2011
    Southeast Georgia
    The worry is that they will start fighting when it is time to start breeding? Because so far so good.

7. Robo

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    They will start whenever they are ready. A warm front with a lot of sun usually gets them started, but breeding is a seasonal thing for the most part. But you really need to get them out fast even if they are not breeding. Trust me they will kill the quail once they get used to their surroundings.

8. tennesseered

tennesseered Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2010
    tennessee
    Quailboy get your pheasants out of the quail pen asap. You never know when either species will turn on each other. Both bobwhites and Ringnecks can be very aggressive! And it does not matter how big the pen is get them apart. Two years ago I put a ringneck rooster into a large pen 24 x 20 by 10' high with a trio of bobwhites. they lived together fine for about a week than one of the bobwhite hens tore into the ringneck rooster and nearly killed him. I saved him, but he still walks with a limp from his muscles being torn up by that bob hen!

9. quailboy 73

Jan 14, 2011
    Southeast Georgia
    Working on the pen for the pheasants just about done. Takin everyones advice and getting there separted. Thanks for info:D

10. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:GOOD LUCK WITH THEM [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by