We have pip...wrong location??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CrazyChickens09, Mar 28, 2012.

1. CrazyChickens09

CrazyChickens09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2009
    SC Kansas
    We have a pip this morning but its on the side of the egg, not the air cell. Is this normal? First time hatcher here lol

2. ethingtonart

ethingtonart Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    indianapolis
    It's not normal, but it does happen from time to time. I have had chicks hatch from the wrong end of the egg before. Just keep a close eye on your little breach baby. As long as it's pipped it should be getting air, it just skipped a step because of it's position in the shell (with normal orientation it should have pipped into the air cell for it's first breath).
    I hope this helps!
    [​IMG] Happy hatching!!!!! [​IMG]

3. green machine

green machine Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2012
    i am currently hatching my first set of eggs, and i have had 3 hatch and a total of 5 pip, im on day 23 and all of my 5 that have pipped did it on the side of the egg. I didnt know this wasnt normal. Hope they are all ok, they seem to be fine.

4. ethingtonart

ethingtonart Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    indianapolis
    Wait... are the pips on the upper 1/3 of the egg? If that is the case that is where the air cell is located, and that would be perfectly normal.
    If the pip is in the dead center of the egg, or close to the pointy end, then it's not normal, but the chick could still hatch without further trouble.
    I hope this helps. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by