We heard our first crow!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kkm, Nov 11, 2008.

1. kkm

kkm Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2008
    Shawnee, OK.
    We had 4 chicks born the first of July. All different types and we thought all hens. One of them started developing a bigger comb and its tail seemed to stick up a little more. But I told the kids we wouldn't know for sure untill we heard it crow. Guess what I heard this morning?!! It was more of a racket than a cockadoodledoo, but it was definately a crow!! Guess wer'e set, 3 hens and a rooster, and a male and a female Guinea. What luck out of an assortment of eggs [​IMG] .

2. jbowyer01

jbowyer01 Just Me!

Aug 29, 2008
    Hogansville, Georgia
    Its a wonderful sound isn't it! Mine is just now starting to try and crow. When it crowed this weekend (more like a horrible squeak) my daughter started laughing and stated "oh look his first words" [​IMG] I love the sound a rooster makes, I just hope my neighbor does too.

3. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    Sure is cheap entertainment hearing a rooster crow for the first time & many more times afterwards until he gets it right! We have one roo in particular that will flap his wings everytime before he crows - guess he's trying w/ all he's got to muster up enough energy to crow. But when he does it sounds more like he's dying than crowing. [​IMG]

4. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Congrats!!! That is super!

5. Appytaz

Appytaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Central Florida
    The new crow just cracks me up. They are just trying so hard! My older roo will usually show off and do it after the newbie :)

6. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    Mine do that sometimes too. After our roo that crows so funny/weird is done we often wonder if the other roos and hens are laughing at him as much as we are. They probably wish he'd [​IMG].

7. basicliving

basicliving Keepin' the sunny side up

Mar 20, 2008
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    [​IMG] Congratulations! The first crow is just as exciting as the first egg!! At least it was for me. I still love to hear my roosters crowing. It just makes my heart smile. [​IMG]

Penny

8. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Tuttle, Oklahoma
    Congrats I love those first crows. Kinda scratchy, but no doubt that they are crows. And so funny [​IMG]

9. bantamman13

bantamman13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2008
    :lol:Those first crows are the funniest the roos almost look suprised themselves. Congratulations

10. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    Congrats!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by