We just butchered our first one

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by harleyjo, Jun 26, 2010.

1. harleyjo

harleyjo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    SW Iowa
    We had a Cornish X go down in the legs a few days ago. We kept it alive until this morning and got set up to butcher. This was our first one and we decided to do just the one to get comfortable with it. I wouldn't do the killing but my husband did and from there we just followed the print out we printed out from here and it went good. We learned a few things along the way but overall I am comfortable with how it went. It was about a week and a half from 56 days and dressed out at 3 1/2 to 4 pounds.

2. harleyjo

harleyjo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    SW Iowa
    I do have a question though. I have put it in the refrid. to age it in a plastic bag before I freeze it, is that ok or does it need to sit loosely in a bowl or something?

3. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    It needs to rest in a brine solution of water and kosher salt for 24-48 hours.

4. NancyinAlaska

NancyinAlaska Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2009
    Willow Alaska
    I never put mine in any solution, just in a bag in the fridge for 48 hours.

5. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Sorry, I disagree. It shouldn't NEED to rest in salty brine, especially a young Cornish X. It should already be moist & flavorful. [​IMG] But I think it should be covered in plastic to prevent it from drying out in the refrigerator. I put mine in clean plastic grocery bags, shoulders in the bottom corner, the top part twisted closed, and the handles wrapped & tied around the drumsticks. Then the filled bags are kept on a plate or in a pan to catch any juices that may leak out.

Yay for you & Mister for attempting to do your own, for learning from the experience to make your next sessions go even easier. Enjoy your well-earned meals!

6. Oxfordmom

Oxfordmom New Egg

Apr 14, 2010
    We processed our first group of birds about a month ago. We did not brine or soak ours and they have been delicious and juicy! I used 2 gallon zip-loc bags and placed them in the sealed bags and on baking sheets in the fridge. They went into the freezer after two days.
    [​IMG]

7. K8tieCat

K8tieCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Northern California
    What is the purpose for waiting a couple days before freezing?

8. 4boysmom

4boysmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2007
    When my father-in-law helped me last year, he said that if you're putting straight in the freezer that you don't need to soak in brine. I let them cool down, then put them in the freezer. If I'm planning to use right away, I soak them for at least 24 hours in brine in the fridge. The one's I've used from the freezer have still had great flavor.

9. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    We set ours in a big stock pot with a wire rack to help it keep dry. Just a wet cloth on top to keep it from drying out too much.

10. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Quote:To make sure they're really dead! [​IMG]

Actually, it's to give the meat time to "relax" and let the rigor mortis pass. Here's a link to more info about the phenomenon http://chemistry.about.com/cs/biochemistry/a/aa061903a.htm Doing this with chickens helps the meat be more tender, less likely to be tough or chewy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by