We just got 5 "rescue" chickens!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by DAVELOVESLORI, Mar 27, 2012.

1. DAVELOVESLORI

DAVELOVESLORI New Egg

Mar 27, 2012
    They came from an "egg farm" with not-so-great conditions, I'm guessing. We have a coop on the property, and I have hay inside the lay boxes; the feeder is inside the coop, and have been feeding them at sundown to herd them into the coop for the night. The pen itself is quite large, but the english ivy covered the ground, and I spread hay around to cover it up. We feed them Layena; but they haven't produced a single egg yet. We've had them about two weeks now. Any advice? And many thanks!

2. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Big changes take a while. Two weeks probably not enough time tor them to adjust.

3. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY

x2

4. RedDrgn

RedDrgn Anachronistic Anomaly

May 11, 2011
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Patience. If they came from some place with poor conditions, they may not have even been laying there. Any kind of mental/physiological stress has the potential to put the kibosh on egg production. Make sure they've got good food, plenty of water, are healthy and parasite free, and a comfy chicken environment and just wait. Once they settle, they'll lay (assuming nothing is wrong with them).

5. ECBW

ECBW Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    NJ
    Aside from the cultural shock, they could be molting. If they behave happy then patience is the only course.

6. poipollo

poipollo Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2012
    When we rehomed to of our hens, the other two stopped laying for almost a month (they had all been together since they hatched). I agree with the others, it's just stress. They'll start laying eventually!

7. DAVELOVESLORI

DAVELOVESLORI New Egg

Mar 27, 2012
    Thank y'all very much for your input!

Sincerely,

DAVELOVESLORI

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by