We just got a Duckling...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Jen4, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Jen4

Jen4 Songster

Sep 7, 2008
    Munfordville, KY
    I'm calling it Ducky for now... a friend found it in their yard and they live in the city, they have no idea where it came from and it kept follow them around, they didnt want to just leave it so they brought it to us. This is our 1st duck so I've got alot of learning to do, any advise is welcomed! We are thinking its a Pekin, what do you all think? When can you tell if its a girl or a boy?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 30, 2010

2. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Songster

Mar 12, 2009
    Medford, Oregon
    Being new to ducks myself in the last week with three 5 wk old muscovy, three 3 wk old silver appleyards, and two 3 wk old call ducks - I would say to care for them as you would a baby chick. Brooder with heat and non-medicated chicken crumbles and plenty of fresh water.

I would find it a buddy, as I wouldn't want to raise anything solo.

Good luck with your little cutie pie. My eight were hen raised, so not so friendly YET. Do keep us updated.

3. Jen4

Jen4 Songster

Sep 7, 2008
    Munfordville, KY
    Thank You... I do have it in the house in my chickie brooder, its sleeping right now. I was thinking it needs a friend, I have no idea how old it is either.

4. chicken boy sam

chicken boy sam Songster

Dec 21, 2009
    Make sure that you dry her/him off after he swims! I would get it a friend.......

5. Jen4

Jen4 Songster

Sep 7, 2008
    Munfordville, KY
    Thanks Chicken Boy Sam... I did [​IMG]

6. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

I think the sweety is one week old.

7. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Sounds about right.

8. askjcm2005

askjcm2005 Songster

Jul 9, 2010
    San Diego
    Yep I'd day pekin. Here are my pekins when they were 3 days old. You can tell the sex by the quack pretty quickly but you wont notice any physical traits that will distinguish male from female for at least a few months, at least thats what I was told. I heard they take a while to sex... I bought a "pair" the hatchery sexed them and I was told they could make either males or females based on the temperature they keep the eggs at but I am not positive. The girls had a red smudge on her face and the boys had blue and so far I can still tell them apart at 5 weeks old. The female is bigger then the male and the quack is way different then the boy...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The females quack is alot louder and the boys is way more faint and scratchy sounding...

Last edited: Jul 30, 2010
  9. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    It will need water available with its food, and both available 24-7 the first several weeks. It can get a little messy, but Wifezilla has a nice brooder setup that I would recommend you look at. Others have good setups, too, that one came to mind first, though.

Some people use a mirror and stuffed toy for company until they can get other ducklings. Their flock instincts are very strong.

10. Jen4

Jen4 Songster

Sep 7, 2008
    Munfordville, KY
    THANK YOU... Everyone!

*Ducky is sitting in its drinking water right now, lol. I gotta figure out a plan for this little one. Gonna go check out wifezilla brooder

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by