we just got a new young goat and the other goats are butting him.

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by snap, Dec 4, 2010.

1. snap

snap New Egg

Dec 4, 2010
    we just got a 1 yr. pigmy goat for my daughter for christmas and we put it in the pen with the others and they are butting him to no end. when will it end?

2. ShadowRooster

ShadowRooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    claremont, NH
    Our girls beat up our new goats for the first day or two, but they became best friends soon, and no one was hurt.[​IMG]

3. snap

snap New Egg

Dec 4, 2010
    as night falls will they let the new goat in the shelter with them?

4. allanimals21

allanimals21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    MN
    Quote:That is something you will have to check tonight. When I brought my new little buck home this summer I kept him penned inside another pen in the goat pen. Does that make sense? lol I usually leave them in there for a week or so then I let them have supervised time together to make sure there is no problems. Usually by then they have no problems getting along. Thats just my experience

5. Lifesong Farm

Lifesong Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2010
    Noble County
    They have to work out the new herd dynamics. It is usually best if you pen them with one of your other goats next to the rest of them. That way when you reintroduce everyone there will be at least one other that has accepted the newbie. But they should work it out. The butting will get less and less.

6. snap

snap New Egg

Dec 4, 2010
    thank you

what if i go out there and they she (my new one) is not in the shelter and the rest are? it supposed to go into the low 20's

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by