We just got our first chicks!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mckenziecn, Jul 11, 2011.

1. mckenziecn

mckenziecn New Egg

Jul 7, 2011
    So it seems every newbie has the 'right of passage' and posts when they get their first chicks. I had a few show chickens as a kid, but now in my *almost* thirties, I am steering our family towards a healthy (non nasty growth hormone nonsense) and self sustaining lifestyle. Thus, the chicks.

We got 25 chicks from Deb (who is great btw-she's on here). We got some barred rocks, 4 buff orpingtons, black Australorps, a lavender oirpington and a black silkie, just to mix things up. As a stay at home mom of a one year old and a two year old (yes, quite literally, they are 13 months apart) we have already had a great time in these 24 hours thus far. The lavender is great, and already is interested in my two year old.

So there ya go, there's our introduction....

Hopefully dairy goats to follow someday.

Christine

2. peterlund

peterlund Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    MA Cranberry Country
    Go girl go! The learning can only give your family a head start in todays world, and your focus on healthy sustainable food is even better... Hope your young family enjoys the benefits of chicken farming as much as my older family does... as well as my Aunts, Uncles, Neighbors, Friends, Friends of friends... etc who enjoy my fresh free ranged no chemicals or medicine eggs................... Gotta love life sometimes!

3. turbodog

turbodog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Independence, La.
    Grats on the new babies! Have fun learnin!

4. fluffandpuffchicks

fluffandpuffchicks Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    You will love your hens! They are entertaining, make good eggs and make great fertilizer! I used saw dust for my chicks-they all got pasty butt! they ate it silly chickies! For my new chicks I'm using sand-Its soo much better cause it provides them with grit if they eat it. Make sure you use marbles or rocks in your water-I found that out the hard way... Good luck!! [​IMG]

5. KDailey

KDailey Crazy Cochin Lady

Jun 27, 2011
    Bronson, Tx
    [​IMG] Yay for you! [​IMG]

6. The Burg Peeps

The Burg Peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Ontario
    CONGRATULATIONS! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    You sound like my double... although my kids are 22 months apart (1 and 3). All other info is me in a nut shell... too funny!
    I love seeing more of our generation moving in this direction! Enjoy your chicks. We just got our first 4 BR's 1 week ago. They are too much fun!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by