We just got our first egg...and its spotted!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by girlonbike, Feb 21, 2011.

1. girlonbike

girlonbike New Egg

Dec 30, 2010
    How very strange, the egg came out brown with white spots on it. I've never seen this before. (though this is our first home grown egg)

[​IMG]

The poor girl was making SOOOOO much noise this morning we seriously put up ads online for someone to come take her away because we thought she was just too darn noisy for our city neighbors. She finnaly made some crazy strange sounds I've never heard before so I went and checked...sure enough there was this beautiful egg.

Anyone know why its spotted like this? Is it a fluke since its her first egg? Will they all be like this?

2. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

It's just extra calcium she had in her system. It's quite common. Early in egg season it's more common.

3. <3ChickenForever

<3ChickenForever Fire Is Catching

Feb 20, 2011
    WI
    Nothing to worry bout.

4. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    I have one that lays an egg like that all the time. What breed is yours as I have no idea who lays the one we get I have 11 in that coop.

5. chickenology

chickenology Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2010
    Ohio
    I agree, it certainly is beautiful! I love when I get speckled eggs, although ours are usually dark brown speckles. The noisy hen must have been extra proud of her creation!![​IMG]

6. girlonbike

girlonbike New Egg

Dec 30, 2010
    Quote:I'm not exactly sure what breed she is. My guess is Rhode Island Red. Here is a pic of her:

[​IMG]

7. <3ChickenForever

<3ChickenForever Fire Is Catching

Feb 20, 2011
    WI
    YES, that's a Rhode-Island Red. She's BEAUTIFUL!!!

8. happyhappy

happyhappy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Napa, CA
    Yes she is quite lovely and so is her first egg, CONGRATS and wait for alot more egg songs from them!!!!!! [​IMG]

9. TM Chickens

TM Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Alabama
    Cool!

10. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    She's a RIR.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by