We just got our geese!!! updated with pic!

Discussion in 'Geese' started by RedfogsFlock, May 15, 2010.

1. RedfogsFlock

RedfogsFlock Songster

Jan 17, 2010
    Wittmann, AZ
    We are so happy! We just adopted three ganders from a rescue, and they are gorgeous!! Glad we did it!

Last edited: May 16, 2010
  2. JROOSTER

JROOSTER Songster

Mar 3, 2010
    Louisiana
    Pls post pic or I may [​IMG] !!!

3. chicken boy sam

chicken boy sam Songster

Dec 21, 2009
    I wanna see!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Kim65

Kim65 Songster

May 29, 2009
    Washington state
    Thank you so much for rescuing them [​IMG] [​IMG] I'm glad they have a good forever home, and I'll bet they are too. Oh yeah, and pics, definitely!

5. RedfogsFlock

RedfogsFlock Songster

Jan 17, 2010
    Wittmann, AZ
    OH MY GOSH I thought that we would never get pics of them!![​IMG] It took us forever to get them in a coop for the night! But after a while we got it so here's our pic of Larry, Curly, & Mo! We wet them down a bit, since they were stressed, & panting. For some reason they won't go into the pool!

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 16, 2010
  6. Chicks R Friends NOT Food

Chicks R Friends NOT Food Songster

Feb 15, 2009
    Chariho RI
    They're very cute. I love their big orange legs. [​IMG]

7. Kim65

Kim65 Songster

May 29, 2009
    Washington state
    That one with the smaller knob is a gander for sure? Maybe he's just younger than the others?

I was totally thinking of naming them after the three Stooges [​IMG]

They are beautiful. They will get into the pool eventually, they won't be able to help themselves. It may take a couple of weeks, first they'll drink out of it, then groom with the water while standing outside the pool and then one of them will not be able to resist and jump in. They are naturally hesistant and seem to have an instinct that there are snapping turtles and biting things in deep water and will "wait" until they are sure it is safe.

Teach them you mean "food" or treats. Geese love greens from the produce isle. They will eat just about any greens but mine love love love the deep green greens. Keep the spinach to a minimum (I was told here it leaches calcium from their bones) and mine also love peas. Just bringing them food will eventually bring them running to you in hopes of a treat. Save the special treat for those times you want them to come in for the night.

I've had lots of trouble getting my geese to go where I want them. Luckily I only have two so I just pick them up and haul them that way, but I've packed them around since babies and they are used to it. So for you I'd suggest training them with special foods. Another is scratch grains, only give those yourself by hand or or make a huge deal out of bringing them scratch grains only when you want them to go in their enclosure. Don't give them too much so to keep the "wanting" nice and strong, just enough to make them want more.

8. chick4chicks

chick4chicks Songster

Apr 6, 2008
    N.E. Pa.
    They are so cute and love the names>. Thank you so much for rescuing them.[​IMG]

9. RedfogsFlock

RedfogsFlock Songster

Jan 17, 2010
    Wittmann, AZ
    Quote:I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THE ADVICE! They are supposed to all 3 be ganders, just one is a different breed. Well today went better! We got them to eat. [​IMG] We got up and made a trip to Sprouts our local vege store. We got them all kinds of goodies, and they loved them! I was just happy to see them eat. YEAH [​IMG]

No sooner did we get back from the store, i'm cuttin up veges, the rescue we got them from calls. Turns out they rescued a bronze turkey. They brought him out and just gave him to us! This is exciting news because a few weeks ago our dog killed our tom leaving us a lonely female bronze. (dog is gone hence the geese) So now i've posted a pic of him on the turkey page! Our flock is almost complete, now we just need a new drake duck. [​IMG]

10. cracking up

cracking up Songster

Jul 29, 2009
    So Cal
    I love your geese! Our male white Chinese was killed last year and the female lays an egg every other day and she's so sweet. We were talking just tonight about getting her a mate. I never thought about a rescue place. I'll have to look into it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: