We Just Hatched Some Eggs! (First time!)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Muddy, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Muddy

Muddy In the Brooder

Nov 6, 2009
    Alabama
    So a neighbor loaned us an incubator. I don't really know anything about incubators, but it didn't look like much to me, a bit of styrofoam and wires. But my husband was eager to give it a go. We didn't put any real planning into it. Just collected the eggs and tried to make sure the temperature was right. Right off the bat the temp shot up too high, and we figured we lost them. After that it regulated and we left them in there "just in case".

Two days ago we hear chirping. One of the eggs was chirping! Very exciting and honestly surprising. Since then we've had 14 hatch.

We never candled any of the eggs. How long would you wait to give up on the rest (maybe 5 or 6 eggs)? One started hatching, but died in the processes. No others look like they are going to.

I'm getting the brooder ready now. I've never had chicks in January. Any tips for that?

[​IMG]

Also, my daughter took some pics of one hatching. I thought it was kind of neat and she wanted to share.

[​IMG]

http://www.willowwinter.com/

2. Muddy

Muddy In the Brooder

Nov 6, 2009
    Alabama
    Also, one is walking a bit funny. What are it's chances? Anything I can do or should look out for?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by