We just killed a black snake...

sloper74

In the Brooder
13 Years
Jan 13, 2007
For weeks, we noticed our egg supply really dwindling, then found some snake skins on the floor of our barn/coop. Then we found 2 pullets with their necks rung. My hubby and son kept going out there sifting through the straw looking for the devil. Nothing!

Then, this morning, I go in to refill a feeder and there he is, eating a clutch of eggs. I scream, "David, SNAKE!!!" in my girliest of voices. He gets the 22 and shoots this thing 15 times. Yolk explodes everywhere. It reminded me of a terminator movie, "Suck on this."

Thankfully he is dead. Hopefully he's just a rogue snake and doesn't have a wife and kids who will take his place.

Eww...I hate snakes. We threw it out for the chickens and they, on the other hand, loved him!

Im so glad you was able to get rid of the snake. I am sure there will be a few people comment on killing it. But, I however, will NOT catch a black snake. No way, uh uh. Garden snakes dont bother me....black snakes are HUGE!! IF I come across one....sorry to all you snake lovers....s/he will go meet the maker!

The black ones are called black racers. I used to do commercial mowing and ran one over that was about 8-9 ft long. They are supposed to get about 6 ft but i was mowing with a 6 ft deck and we measured up to that....it was way bigger . I was told they got their name because when the farmers would hay the fields with tractors, the black racer would keep up along side as if racing them. I dont know if its true.......but its what i heard.

That's interesting about the racer, learn something new every day.

Yeah, garden snakes are cute, they're tiny and slither around so innocently.

I don't know how many eggs this snake had eaten but we had gone from 14 eggs to 4-5 for the last few weeks, so at least he ate well before his demise.

I had no idea they would try and strangle a chicken, the 2 pullets that died literally had their necks squeezed to a pulp. Yuk!

a way to keep my mom out of the yard is to tell her that i saw a large black snake in the backyard lol and she is yelling OMG OMG lol it is too funny!!
smile.png
but ya we have water machkasons (sp?? the shoe that native americans used to wear in the olden days.)

Back
Top Bottom