We like our new digs!

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by jemmasgrandma, Sep 17, 2010.

1. jemmasgrandma

jemmasgrandma Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    I just moved the meaties (2 weeks 2 days old) to their new coop...they quickly outgrew the brooder that I had set up plus it got super stinky quick! They didn't know what to do with all the new space but it didn't take long for them to start running and stretching their wings. So glad the move is over, Ill keep them inside for another week and then let them out to wander around. [​IMG] All 50 are doing great, I lost 2 the first week and a few of them had leg problems a couple of days ago, but they seem to be getting back to normal. I feed 12 hrs on 12 hrs off. I have 3 that are runts, maybe they will catch up we'll see...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. chickenboy21

chickenboy21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    i dont kno how long you plan to raise them or how big you want them... but having there food availabilty on and off will cause them to over eat each time you put feed out for them... thus they will grow bigger faster... otherwise goodluck [​IMG]

3. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Cornish X's have health problems if you feed them 24/7, so it taking their food away at night is recommended.

4. jemmasgrandma

Apr 27, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    I've been taking their food away at night for about a week now. I debated back & forth about it but after reading what others do it seems like most feel that it's better for them. Besides, don't they overeat anyway [​IMG]

5. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

Haha, just wait! It's not too bad for the first few weeks. Soon you'll have to create a diversion when feeding them to avoid getting attacked!

6. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    lol oh they will over eat! but that's what you want with CX.
    I too agree with 12 on 12 off feed.

7. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:not removing their food will cause them to eat constantly thus all the problems happen

8. chickenboy21

chickenboy21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Quote:not removing their food will cause them to eat constantly thus all the problems happen

I raised broilers this past summer and whenever i went out to their coop i never saw them standing around eating, they were all laying down.... when and if i took their feeder out for a while and then put it back they all acted as if they were starved and ate and ate and ate to the point that i didnt even think they were hungry... i know someone who works for perdue and he said they tend to over-eat when you take their food away for a while... otherwise they would just eat when they are hungry and not necessarily over-eat

9. jemmasgrandma

Apr 27, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    23 days old! They're doing great, the ones I weighed were well over 1 lb except for one little guy, he was 13oz. I still remove the feed at night, and feed them right away in the morning. ...always have fresh water available for them, I just talked to a guy this afternoon that lost all of his meaties (25) when they were 4 weeks old because he left for a few days and the neighbor didn't keep their waterers full. They were all dead when he came home [​IMG] Scheduled their "time" at the butcher today...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    For my last several batches I've quit taking away feed at night. I haven't had any problems. I think the difference is I have them out on a thickly covered clover pasture and I feed a very complete feed. I am of the opinion if you give them the correct amount of vitamins/nutrients, their legs and organs can keep up with their rapid growth, thus avoiding leg problems and CHF. I haven't had a flip this year and I've raised close to 500 of this year.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by