we lost 2

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by MaureenL128, Jul 10, 2010.

1. MaureenL128

MaureenL128 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Well we have suffered our first loss as chicken owners. Last night my husband went out to make sure the girls were heading into the coop for the night. When he went around the side of the coop to look for Bootsy all he saw was her white feathers everywhere. No sign of her. Then he realized Little Gray was missing. When I got home from work not too long after we went walking in the woods behind our property to look for them. There was nothing. We were so upset. This morning when we went out to look for them again, we found a pile of Little Grays feathers and a back leg quarter of Bootsy that we didn't see last night. We think it was a hawk. It probably only tok a split second. We were just hoping to find something of our girls to give them a proper burial. We are so heartbroken and we can tell the other girls know their buddies are gone. We love and miss them. I still can't believe they are gone. Here are our girls.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

I'm so very sorry about your beautiful girls. [​IMG] I know its so hard for you. [​IMG]

3. Cattitude

Cattitude Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm sorry to hear about your girls. *hugs* We had to put chicken wire over the top of our main pen because of critters. Our mature guineas free range and do okay, because they're super alert and because they sleep in the trees. I wish those possums & raccoons & hawks would move a little farther away.

4. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

[​IMG] so sorry for your loss.

5. MaureenL128

MaureenL128 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    thanks for the love...i'm glad people like you guys understand

6. slackwater

slackwater Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2010
    SoMD
    they were beautiful girls - i'm so sorry for your loss!

7. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

[​IMG] I'm so sorry [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by