1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

We lost a baby goat to the cold...

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Camelot Farms, Jan 3, 2010.

1. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

Went out to feed this morning and our runt buckling had died in the night. He was fine at 8pm when we did a final nighttime check.

Mary, if you read this, I feel awful about Buck. We had put extra bedding in their and raised their beds off the ground to combat the coming cold (below 0 temps). Even made sure that no breeze was coming through the stalls.

I now have the two remaining bucklings in the bathroom. I guess they stay in til the temps come back up in the 30's. Goat diapers anyone? [​IMG]

2. TipsyDog

TipsyDog Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2009
    Aregua, Paraguay
    Ouch. So sorry! [​IMG] It must be heart breaking to find the little one this morning. [​IMG]

3. BlueMoon

BlueMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    Scenic Verbank, NY
    Our babies are seven months old, but I still think of them as so fragile on these cold days. I'm so sorry for your loss - we just can't predict how every animal will handle every situation.

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Ugh..so sorry. [​IMG] This darn winter is taking a toll on my outside critters as well. [​IMG]

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

How sad...so sorry you lost a little one... [​IMG]

6. chickenlittle32

chickenlittle32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    I am so sorry this has happened... [​IMG]

7. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Sorry you lost a baby! I have a little 3 week old buck in the shed, and we got down to the low teens last night. Now I'm wondering if I should bring him in!

8. little horse

little horse Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2008
    centerville texas
    [​IMG]i am so sorry

9. Benelli

Benelli Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2009
    I'm so sorry for your loss. I've been putting a doggie coat on my six month old every night for about a week now. I worry every morning he won't be yelling for me when I go out to feed. Hang in there.

10. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    Kim, I'm so sorry. I know you have to be heart broken because you're so much like me. Your animals have themselves wrapped around your heart.

We've lost some chickens here due to the cold. Steven went out and bought portable heaters for all the coops.

Hugs to you my friend.

Laurie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by