1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

We lost a chick today:(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dodgewoman, Apr 1, 2012.

1. dodgewoman

dodgewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2012
    I'm beside myself. This morning my husband checked on the chicks, they all seemed fine to him. We left for a few hours. I came home to check on them and found one dead[​IMG] We've only had them 3 days! I'm so upset, I've never had anything die on me so quickly. Should I be very worried about the rest of my flock? We have 14 birds left now. Is there really anything I can do?

2. dodgewoman

Mar 30, 2012
    No ideas? I've been watching them all like a hawk today and they all seem to be eating and drinking. I know birds can deteriorate quickly though.

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Chicks can die for a number of reasons, most of the time you just don't know. I would grind up the chick feed. Make sure they are drinking. And that they have room to get away from the heat lamp.
    Sorry

4. dodgewoman

Mar 30, 2012
    Thanks. They are on medicated chick starter so it's pretty darn fine already. I'm pretty sure I observed all of them drinking today(hard to tell some of my black ones apart at this point!). They have a pretty big brooder where they can get to the other end well away from the lamp. With a thermometer it's quite a bit cooler down there. My husband says I take things way to personally[​IMG] I have raised two parrots from babies with spoon and syringe feeding but I'm thinking the whole chick thing is SO much different!

5. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I think there are thousands of us on BYC who take things to heart. It's sad when they die, and there's no reason you can think of. I think it happens to alot of people. I hope the rest stay good. [​IMG]

6. CluckCluck18

CluckCluck18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    Largo, FL
    I'm so sorry for your loss, it's so hard and we all take it to heart. When I first got chicks I brought 6 little fuzzy butts home and by the end of the first night I had 2 with coccidiosis and one dead in the first 20 hours. Sending prayers that the rest of your babies will be fine. Keep us posted! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by