1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

We lost a chicken today :-(

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mamakelly, Sep 27, 2010.

1. mamakelly

mamakelly Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2010
    I'm so sad. We had a crazy heat wave today, it was at least 103, probably hotter. It came out of nowhere, last week was chilly. The poor chickens were panting when I came home this afternoon. I sprayed the coop down, put bags of ice in the coop, and put more water and ice in their waterer. But I guess it was too late. After dinner, my daughter went out the the coop to check the girls, and one was dead on an ice bag. I feel horrible.

2. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Oh so sad....I am sorry for your loss.

3. nuttyredhead

nuttyredhead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    I m so sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

4. Dora'smom

Dora'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Oregon
    I am so sorry for your loss. Heat like that is brutal. [​IMG]

5. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    I am so sorry for your loss. I put a fan in the window of my coop that pulls air thru the coop door and other windows. I find that on the hottest days, the girls are in the coop , in front of the door, in the shade.. I also use a large plastic tub lid that's about 3" deep, filled w/ water and I put plastic pop bottles w/ frozen water in them in their.. It lasts longer than the cubed ice. They sit and stand in the lid..I even found an egg in there one day.. too hot to get up and go to the nest box, I guess!!

6. huntsman

huntsman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2010
    South Africa
    Wow, that must have been some heat!

My condolences, mamakelly. Never nice to lose one of the girls...[​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by