1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

We lost a hen again - was it a fight or something else ?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by karu, Jan 20, 2008.

1. karu

karu Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2008
    Schenectady County, NY
    We lost a hen again today ! Last time it was in December and we guessed the hen could be eggbound (?), since no injuries..., and no sick chickens. We did not think to 'autopsy' her....This time we saw 2 SW hens fighting couple times, maybe this one got into a fight and was knocked down, so the rest of the 'friendly' flock came to see her failure...well, my husband could not save her, it was too late, other hens were pecking at her, she was barely alive.... She was a laying one too, what a shame. What else would make her weak and others to start killing her ? It is getting cold here and my husband noticed she was breathing heavily at that moment, but she was injured already and so on and so forth.[​IMG]
    And I used to think of them as being so gentle, and somewhat affectionate.
    What happened ?[​IMG]

2. Josie

Josie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    California
    I am sorry about your loss. That is no fun, especially on the heels of your Dec loss.
    I've heard that chickens will peck a hen to death if they see blood. Hopefully that is all it is and not disease.

3. karu

karu Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2008
    Schenectady County, NY
    I can see now how serious it can get. Seems that SW are not as friendly as I thought, so far BO are being much more relaxed.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by