We lost all our girls :(

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by TheChickenCameFirst, Jul 18, 2011.

1. TheChickenCameFirst

TheChickenCameFirst Chillin' With My Peeps

I am depressed. Something came in to our coop Saturday night and beheaded all my beautiful chickens! It only ate one...I'm about ready to go and scour the neighborhood and kill whatever it was with my bare hands! [​IMG]

I already posted the story here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=542408 So I won't repeat myself, but I'm ranting a bit on my emotional state here! When I found them all dead I was devestated! We had tried so hard to keep them safe and we really loved each and every one of them! [​IMG]

We would sit out in the yard after my daughter was asleep and watch them play, chasing the moths, and having a good time of it! *sigh* Am I ever going to get over this!? All I can think about it what we should have done differently... [​IMG] and what to do now. Should we even try and start over? I don't know!

2. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Probably a coon, eating the heads that way. So sorry for your loss.[​IMG] Yes, secure that coop and get more . Every tragedy is a learning experience. You will enjoy the new ones as well. They are more fun to watch than TV! I lost several chickens to coons, it is no fun and seems so crazy they eat the head and leave the rest of the chicken. Get yourself some chicks to love on.

3. MadHatcher

MadHatcher Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2010
    Oh I'm just so sorry!

Losing your beloved friends is so hard.

*hugs*

When I lost one of my girls to heat-stroke last month I cried and cried.

I almost considered taking a day or two off work - but decided to press on. Not sure that was a good idea.

At first, I considered not even keeping the other chickens because I wasn't prepared to watch them all die - one by one.

So, I know how you feel, but it will get better.

Chicken keeping is not easy and we all make life costing mistakes.

I'm sure if you decide to start again it will be both worthwhile and challenging.

Again - I'm just so sorry! My heart breaks for you.

4. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Quote:2x [​IMG] After tragedy, we will be stronger too.

5. pdbantam

pdbantam Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2011
    South Mississippi
    So sorry! If you want to sit up half the night, It will probably return to the scene of the crime.

6. TaylorHobbyFarms

TaylorHobbyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    I am so sorry for your loss. It is always devastating when something like that happens out of the blue. We had the same thing happen about 2 years ago and had to totally redo our coops. Is it worth starting again? To me it was. I now have a lot of beautiful chickens and have not had a return predator yet. Keeping my fingers crossed.

7. TheChickenCameFirst

Quote:Uh, yes I cried so hard when I found them! [​IMG] It's hard to put so much work into something just to lose it all! They hadn't even started laying yet. They were just young ones, never even got to live life! I'm going to press on and get some more, and I will be looking for chicks as soon as we make sure NOTHING can ever get to them again! I can't deal with a slaughter like that again!

Thanks to all of you for your condolences, it really does help! It's so sad! (I didn't expect it would be this hard!)

8. bethgranberg

bethgranberg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    Illinois
    I am so sorry for your loss. I am also thinking coons, I have my run wrapped all the way around even underground so they cant dig under. That has kept them at bay for 3 years. I know about making mistakes I took in 2 hens now my whole flock is sick, I feel your loss. hang in there.

9. TheChickenCameFirst

Quote:That's good to know! I think I would just die having to look at the coop everyday knowing it's empty... I need new chicken friends!

10. Sassafras

Sassafras Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2011
    N.H.
    I'm sorry this happened. Any ventilation holes or cracks must be covered with hardware cloth and secure your doors with metal latches that lock, not bungees.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by