We lost chicks and it looks like we might lose more

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tifanicole, Mar 16, 2017.

1. tifanicole

tifanicole Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2017
    Spring Hill, FL
    This morning we found 2 chicks dead in our brooder. I know stuff happens. These chicks were purchased from the same feed store as the other 6 but on a different day (Sunday) One came to us with pasty butt, which hadn't cleared up yet, the other got it yesterday. Both were fine as far as we could tell yesterday, active and eating, drinking, pooping.
    We have one more chick in the brooder right now who's vent is pasty and is alive but not looking well. I'm pretty sure she's dying is there ANYTHING I can do?

2. snow5164

snow5164 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2015
    Canada
    I'm so sorry for your losses.

Do you have vitamins in the water? Did you dip the beaks into the water? Is it too hot ?

Did you call the store to get replacements??

3. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Clear the vent ASAP with warm water and a paper towel. Then, make sure the brooder has both a warm zone AND a cool zone, so the chicks can cool off if they need to.

4. Ducks4us

Ducks4us Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2015
    North Idaho
    Sorry to hear, are you cleaning off the poop? Pasty but can make it so the cant poop, and they will die.
    I would put a little apple cider vinegar (the good organic kind will say "with the mother" ) in their water.

5. snow5164

May 16, 2015
    Canada
    Also put Vaseline or polysporin on their butts after washing it .. I thought you were doing this with the others .

6. tifanicole

Mar 14, 2017
    Spring Hill, FL
    I had seen all of them drink. We had had electrolytes and probiotics in their water but I feel like we stopped using them Tuesday

We cleaned up Jelly Beans butt which I feel like wasn't really pasted as much as maybe she pooped and just didn't have any strength. Lil has her warming up with a heating pad (not directly on her) and we are trying to get some electrolytes in her.

i don't think it was over heating, it was the coldest night we've had since we had them they were all doing just fine on the edge of the hot spot with Rose (one who passed) tending to like it warmer (she was smaller)

7. snow5164

May 16, 2015
    Canada
    Ok,

I'd contact the store , they could have been unhealthy when you got them . Pasty butt when they arrived could have been a big problem......

So sorry [​IMG]

8. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Heating pads are great at warming chicks, without the risks of overheating. I prefer them to heating lamps.
    [​IMG]
    Happy little chicks tucked up under their 'momma'.

1 person likes this.
  9. tifanicole

Mar 14, 2017
    Spring Hill, FL
    My biggest concern now is that only one initially had pasty butt at the store (which I did ask them to check their butts but I guess I should have looked myself) one just has it yesterday and now a previously perfectly healthy chick is lethargic and not opening her eyes. She is drinking the water with electrolytes and probiotics and my daughter said she seems to be peeking up a bit.
    Is there something I can do for the rest of the brood? I am going to clean out their cage and give them all electrolytes / probiotics but so far that's all I got [​IMG]

10. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Pictures of your setup? Is the water as far from the heat as possible?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by