We lost chicks and it looks like we might lose more

This is a 175 watt bulb. The water and food are all the way to the left and a definite cool zone under the shelf that's cut off to the left. I've been watching their behavior to determine if the heat was ok (around 95) I've been wanting to make it a bit cooler as most sleep just at the edge of the hot spot but then just when I think, I find a couple of the smaller chicks in the hot spot. I just thought that was b/c I do have some chicks that are older by maybe a week
But none of those bigger birds seem to be having a problem.
I was cleaning Roses vent every day. She was the only one with pasty butt until Blanche had it yesterday. I will say Blanche looked a bit sad yesterday but she's the smallest chick and she was active and pecking when I took them out for recess so I thought maybe it was just her personality.

It sounds like you did everything right,
Recess even!!!

Call the store they should give you healthier chicks , check their butts and don't take the smallest ones!!

Oh no, tell her maybe they didn't take good care of her at the store , such a sweet little girl !!

My daughter bought her sister a hamster that died the next day !!! Now they laugh about the worst gift ever

She's 12 but has not yet had a pet die. A couple of runaways lol but 3 chicks at once, including her favorite. Her brother is trying to distract her with coop building

I told my girls the hamster was in heaven chasing great grandma !!!

Make sure to clean and sanatize everything, something like vircon, is safe some use bleach , but you must clean every dish , water dispenser and walls and floor of brooder just in case something in it hurt them.

And the kids must wash before and after holding the chicks

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom