We lost Hopper this afternoon

cheraboo

Songster
11 Years
Aug 24, 2008
Michigan
I sent Ana to let the chickens out of the coop since it is so beautiful out today. Hopper (Buttercup pullet) and Sasquatch (Silkie cockerel) were jumping into each other ... it was pretty funny. Hopper had her feathers all fluffed out and they were like chest butting each other (if that makes sense). Than out of the blue our dog Freddie went to the chickens and grabbed ahold of Hopper. I ran outside to find Ana and Jacob sobbing as Ana picked Hopper up off the ground, her neck flopping. Jacob said "we gotta take her to the vet". I knew she was already gone, though. By then I'm bawling my eyes out and hugging Jacob and Ana.

Hopper was one of the first chickens we got. We are just heartbroken. She was such a neat girl. Very friendly. She liked to perch on our shoulders. We are gonna miss her so much. Sorry to post a sad story but I had to share with someone else who would understand our pain.

hit.gif

Last edited:
The weird thing is that Freddie has never bothered the chickens before. DH thinks maybe he was trying to defend Sasquatch? I just don't know.

hit.gif

i remember when my first pet chicken died in front of me.
it was terrible and i mourn your loss even more because i own buttercups!

hugs.gif

just remember. once a killer, always a killer. one of my dogs was the same way with wild ducks and our neighbors chickens.

We're looking for a home for Freddie. I can't stand the thought of losing another of our "babies" to him. I guess I was fooling myself thinking that we could raise birds with a dog and kids
hu.gif

what breed is freddie. some breeds are notorious for killing birds. for example setters, spaniels, and pointers.

we have a dog now who loves our birds and guards them, sleeps with them, and even attempts to groom them. he is a dalamation x jack russel cross.

Freddie is part Chow and part something else. The kids are convinced the other part is fox - especially after today.

I could be wrong but I think that Chow dogs tend to be a little more aggressive than some of the more easy-going dogs. I'm so sorry that this happened.

Suzy

hugs.gif

I'm sorry. Last Winter I kept my favorite little banty roo inside because he was healing from a Respiratory Infection. I kept him indoors for over a month because the medication wasn't working and his flock wasn't accepting him, etc...I hung out with him a lot more than usual and spent hours just sitting with him. One night I left a feeding cup in his crate and I came to check on him the next morning. The first thing I saw was his head jammed in the cup.
hit.gif
Trust me this, it was VERY graphic. So, because of my irrisponsible behavior my favorite little guy sufficated hours before. Just be thankful you didn't hurt your girl. I still feel like I'll never really repay my dues to him.
hugs.gif

Your Hopper sounds awfully special. You can make peace with her by taking care of your remaining fowl extra specially and love them no less than when she was there. I understand your pain fully. We just had to give up a roo yesterday and my flock is mourning with me.

Back
Top Bottom