1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

We lost Luna...she just DISAPPEARED! (UPDATE:know what happened)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by maralynn28, Oct 24, 2010.

1. maralynn28

maralynn28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2010
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Hi all, we are mourning a bit today. Yesterday we let 4 ducks out to forage, put 4 ducks back in the pen in the evening, but only 3 ducks went to bed. [​IMG] My daughter was crying her precious little head off, Luna was her favorite duck. We went out and searched for her last night with flashlights in the rain, saw no evidence of foul play but also no duck. We were hoping she could be hiding somewhere but our yard is not that big and there is still no sign of her. I'm just baffled. Ok, so there IS evidence of a raccoon in their pen but there is one in there almost every night eating duck food...but there is no sign of struggle. Even if she is dead somewhere I would like to find her so we can give her a burial, it's just driving my 9 yr old daughter crazy (any noise she hears, she thinks it's ducky coming home).

Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
  2. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    I'm so sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

3. secretquail

secretquail Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    Chapel Hill
    I am soooo sorry to hear you are going through this.[​IMG] The same thing happened to us just this week. We had gotten a drake for my duck, and our dog scared him. The drake didn't run off into the woods right away, he waited a few minutes until I put the dog in the house, then he wandered off. We spent ALL day looking for him, with no luck. He disappeared in the 30 seconds it took me to put the dog away. Just vanished. I hope your duck comes back.

4. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    [​IMG] awww. I'm so sorry for your loss. I know how hard it is, especially when the children are attached.

I don't want to be a downer but I'd bet a good deal on the likelihood that your duck was eaten by that raccoon. I know you said he's been in there a lot and not been a problem, but honestly it was just a matter of time. Raccoons are, hands-down, the worst predator we have. We get foxes, coyotes, owls, hawks, snakes, domestic dogs (which are bad in their own way), and much else. But the raccoons are smart, effective, and persistent, and they don't limit themselves to nighttime hunting. My guess is that yours was used to being fed the city way--trash, cat food, etc.--and it took a while for him to realize the ducks could be dinner too. You wouldn't have evidence, because the raccoon will have taken the entire thing with it and eaten it at leisure.

I'd strongly recommend that you spend some time today, before it gets dark, to make the duck area impervious to raccoons. This is not easily done, but you are likely to lose another as long as there's a raccoon with access.

Sorry!

And I hope your daughter feels better soon. It's always hard to lose a pet. [​IMG]

5. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Awww, how sad. Is there any place under the duck house that she could have squeezed into?

Raccoons seem to make a lot of mess when they kill, so if it was a raccoon, it's puzzling. And, if there's no holes that the duck could get out through or dragged through, that's even more puzzling still.

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Secure your remaining ducks. The predator will return now that it has found a food source.

7. cracking up

cracking up Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    So Cal
    I was thinking the same thing as desertdarlene. Could she have possibly been hiding a nest under the coop? Every time I don't find feathers the bird shows up. Usually they're on eggs somewhere. I hope she shows up.

8. K4zn4v3

K4zn4v3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2010
    Its the worst feeling. I let my dog outside to go to the bathroom, then took 20 seconds to go get a cup of coffee and in that time he disappeared. Luckily we found him almost a mile away, standing up to his chest in a stream. One thing peice of advise I can offer you is to go outside every so often and listen for quacking. Is she is lost and scared, chances are she will be quacking her head off. Thats how I found my dog, I actually followed his howling. I hope you find you duck.

9. maralynn28

maralynn28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2010
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Thanks all...no, it's no downer, the raccoon was my first thought but with absolutely no signs of a struggle it's hard for me to accept. We didn't even hear a sound, and those girls can be loud when they want to be. My mom thought eagle or owl, something that could have swooped in without a trace, but that also seems unlikely..this was a full grown large cayuga (and a VERY fat one at that). No she couldn't be under the house, it is 2 feet off the ground. We don't have any real bushes or anything for her to be hiding in either. I really thank you all....it's just so frustrating to not know. I mean, if there was sign of predator then I would know it is a security issue but for her to completely disappear? Hubby even suggested someone stole her, which would make the most sense to me of anything but someone who would do that while dh and I are sitting in the room nearby has got a lot of guts. Plus she wasn't anything special, except to me and my daughter. I do wish we had some sort of closure, bury her or something instead of being on edge listening for a quack that will never sound. Ugh, I wish I didn't get so attached. I know they don't last forever and I wanted them for eggs only but this one duck was hard not to love. She was so good, she would hop into my daughter's lap and even snuggled with her beak in the cook of my daughter's neck. We have decided to accept that she is gone and just focus on making sure the other 3 are safe.
    Anyway, thanks for letting me vent! Hubby is sick of hearing about it but while I'm telling myself she's gone and there's nothing we can do, I keep thinking she might be lost somewhere-alone, scared and hungry. But I think that's just "wishful" thinking. Hope can not change reality.
    I guess all I can do is treat the situation as if it was the raccoon and make sure ducks are locked up early and reinforce the weak point.

10. ejctm

ejctm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2009
    VILLAGE IN THE SHIRES
    Hi Maralynn. I'm sorry to hear about your duck. Is there any way she could have flown out of your yard? I know you said she is quite heavy, but just a thought.
    When I raised mallards, when they first started to test their wings, they kept flying into our neighbour's garden and I had to keep going and getting them! It was over a 6 foot high fence which they managed to get over even when they could not properly fly yet. Could she have made it out and be somewhere nearby? I would go and search the neighbourhood, and knock on my neighbour's doors to see if they can check their gardens for a hiding duck! At least if this turns up nothing, you will know you tried everything to find her.

I have heard lots of stories of people's ducks going missing and then turning up with a brood of babies after a few weeks, so could she have a secret nest somewhere?

Hope you find her, or at least get some closure on this. I do feel for you, I would be so upset too.

best wishes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by