1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

We lost Midge

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by horsejody, Apr 15, 2009.

1. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Midge had a short life, but she was a fighter. She was a Golden Cuckoo Marans pullet and about 1 1/2 months old. She had trouble from the beginning. She had spraddle leg early on. Her legs were braced and they seemed to straighten. Then they spraddled again. We tried all nature of braces, bandaids, tape, vet wrap, sponges with slots cut in them. I think that Midge was also a dwarf. He upper legs were abnormally short and set way apart. We finally realized one day when changing her braces that her legs kept spraddling because her weak leg was longer than the other. She was only about one third of the size of her hatch mates. Midge always ate and drank well. I knew her only hope at a normal life was to have somewhat straight legs so we continued to put braces on her. She was quite good at removing them and scooting around and injuring her hocks so I started bringing her to work with me so I could make sure she left them on. Yesterday, she sat contentedly in her bowl all day and seemed content to let me and my co-workers dote on her. This morning she looked good, but wouldn't eat or drink. She drove to work with me like usual and even peeped at the Johnny Cash songs on the CD. She particularly liked "A Boy Named Sue" it seems. She was sitting on my desk this morning and appeared to have a series of seizures and passed away. I suspect that Midge had some internal or neurological deformities as well as her leg and size deformities.

I guess that's part of raising chicks. On the plus side, Midge's 4 hatch mates are doing well. Her brother, Scamper, is a particular little snot that always grabs my hand when I change the food or water. He's like a little pitbull. Yesterday, he pinched my finger and clamped on so hard the he lifted up in the air as I pulled my hand out.

2. mrsgibber

mrsgibber Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    Bolton, CT
    So sorry to hear of your loss. Best of luck with the rest of your hatch.

3. raspeary

raspeary Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Cortland New York
    So sorry. Now when you here the Johnny Cash songs, you will always think of Midge.

4. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Quote:Yeah, it was kind of fun carpooling with her.

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Im sorry you lost little Midge! What a cute picture you painted for us, though. Some of them just steal your heart.

6. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    So very sorry. You gave her a good life. [​IMG]

7. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Midge was going to the vet on Thursday night to be evaluated. The vet was going to try to determine if she would be a good candidate for amputation if the bad leg didn't start getting better. It was questionable because her legs appeared to be set extra far apart where the thighs met the body. But, hopping on one good leg might have been better than scooting around on her hocks. I guess God answered the question for me.

8. NotTheMomma

NotTheMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]
    Thank you for giving Midge the love and care during her short life.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by