We lost one

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ORChickFam, Mar 12, 2015.

1. ORChickFam

ORChickFam Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    I was mentally prepared to pick them up from the post office yesterday and have a couple not make it. So I was pleasantly surprised to see that they were all chirping, running around, and being loving. Not a single sign of any of them not making it. Then around 2100 one of the RIRs was very lethargic, wouldn't open her eyes, when I tried to give electrolytes, she wouldn't open her beak. No heavy breathing, no sounds of pain. By around 2300 I had to go to bed since the alarm goes off at 0400 for work.

I had high hopes last night that she would just pull the strength out, drink, and be chirping away when I got up. Sadly not the case. We haven't named any of them yet to help mainly me not get so attached. Still just stinks.

2. ORChickFam

Feb 16, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    Make it two now, a barred rock. They were all chirping away when I came in, she looked a little lethargic, dipped her beak in water, she drank, put her down she walked around. I went out to my office started on some work went back about 30 minutes later and she had passed. [​IMG]

3. song of joy

song of joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    Central Pennsylvania
    I've never done electrolytes in the water for chicks. Is there a risk of heart or organ failure if the dose isn't exactly right? I'm not saying this is the problem - just trying to help. I'm so sorry for your losses!

4. ORChickFam

Feb 16, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    Oh I know you're not. I've tripled question everything I've done since they came home from the post office

I didn't introduce the electrolytes till the end of last night as from the get go, they've had sugar water., but no I did make sure it was mixed in a gallon jug before pouring over to a water dropper. Which might I say feels like such a waste when you have to make a gallon and only want half a cup. lol

they had clean vents, access to food, lots of space to run in, temp is a perfect 95 on one side of the box, air flow, they got to listen to me sing when I did laundry (which my husband claims might be the reason for their passing).

5. ScenicViews

ScenicViews Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2015
    King, NC
    So sorry for your loss!

[​IMG]

6. song of joy

song of joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    Central Pennsylvania
    I'd recommend not using a dropper unless a chick absolutely cannot drink on its own. There's just too much of a risk of them aspirating the fluid.

I hope the losses are over and the rest grow to be strong and healthy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by