We lost our first chicken today :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KenyonFam4, Aug 22, 2011.

1. KenyonFam4

KenyonFam4 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2011
    So when my daughter put the chickens away in their coop yesterday afternoon, she failed to mention to me that she couldn't find our sweet Cali. So this morning my hubby woke me up to tell me that he saw my chicken laying in the yard and she looked dead...I ran out there, and found that she was not yet dead but looked very close to it. She had been out probably most of the later afternoon and all night. I scooped her up in a towel and brought her in to warm her up and dry her off. I then noticed she had a HUGE wound on her side and bum...So I called my sister in law to help me get her cleaned up. After talking to numerous people, they said to get her in the sink and rinse her off with the kitchen hose and used some antibacterial soap. Once we got her cleaned up, we looked a little closer to find she was COVERED in maggots. We gave her a bath again and tried to rinse them all off her. We thought we had them all but once we put her on the counter again, they just kept coming out of nowhere...I started to use a q-tip to wipe them from under the skin and saw that they were coming out of her skin. There were THOUSANDS of them. I dont understand how she got maggots so fast since she was only out there less than 24 hrs. Anyways, after noticing that she looked like she had a puncture wound on her lower back, and so many maggots, and she was not able to walk on her leg at all, we decided she didnt need to suffer anymore and we had to put her down. She would have been 6 months old in two days.

2. spacecowgirl

spacecowgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    Oh my Lord. That is horrible!!! I'm so sorry! I honestly don't even know if I could deal with that- my gag reflex would've been going into overdrive. Kudos to you for doing the best you could, and I'm so sorry for your loss..

Any idea what could have done that?

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I'm sorry for your loss [​IMG]

4. ladyride

ladyride Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    East Tn
    So sorry for your loss. [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Silkie Sue

Silkie Sue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2007
    Sarnia, Ontario
    That is sooo sad [​IMG]

it's not easy losing those little awesomes.

Since i have got into chickens i didn't realize there were so many ways to die [​IMG]

We do the best we can to keep them safe and happy but as prey animals there are way too many dangers.

As for the maggots, [​IMG]
    i had a hen who " blew out" and she had maggots and had to be put down
    maybe she was injured before and you didn't realize it ?

6. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    So sorry, what a terrible discovery [​IMG]

7. KenyonFam4

KenyonFam4 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2011
    Thanks everyone. We are thinking my dog got to her. We have a lab/pointer mix and she never tries to hurt the chickens but just wants to play with them...I always intervene and stop it before she gets too excited but since it was at night and I was sleeping, I couldnt do anything. I blame myself 100% for not checking the coop after my 5 year old put the chickens away. She always does such a good job at rounding them up that I never think twice. We are super sad that she is gone. Her last meal was a raw uncooked EGG!

Here is a pic of her horrible wound and her last meal!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  8. Pickled Egg

Pickled Egg Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2008
    Perth, Ontario
    Poor hen [​IMG] What a horrendous wound...you did the right thing not to let her suffer.

9. heatherkh

heatherkh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    Clackamas, Oregon
    I'm so so so sorry for your loss! Please don't be too hard on yourself - you are a good chicken momma and have a wonderful chicken family. These things happen. Peace to you and your family.

10. Help_battery_hens

Help_battery_hens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Northamptonshire

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by