"we lost our hen Lucy today"

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by KIDDSBANTAMS, Sep 23, 2010.

1. KIDDSBANTAMS

KIDDSBANTAMS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2010
    Lexington
    :(Today was a very sad day for me, we lost our hen,"Lucy" some people might say she was only a chicken, but I have raised her from 1 day old, she was our pet and she laid her egg everyday for us, she followed us around and allowed us to pet her. We did everything that we could to protect them, even putting up a new fence. I will miss her and it breaks my heart that my grand daughter is crying because someone did not keep their dog at home like I asked them to more than once, the same dog that killed 5 of our baby chicks 5 months ago. How is it fair the people can allow there animals to roam free killing my pets? Our other hens are missing feathers and very stressed, I pray they live.

2. magistradomina

magistradomina Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2010
    Where I live.
    [​IMG] I am so sorry that happened!! [​IMG] I hate it when people won't respect your requests. [​IMG] It makes me want to go [​IMG] !!

3. omahalostpunk

omahalostpunk Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2010
    Council Bluffs
    I had a dog that did that once growing up. She wandered off the farm to the neighbors and killed one of their birds. Then they shot my dog for it. [​IMG] I understand why they did because she would have kept doing it.

4. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Sorry for your loss. Your bird surely was loved. The dog has to suffer the consequences of it's actions and it's owner's. Good luck with your survivors.

5. KIDDSBANTAMS

KIDDSBANTAMS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2010
    Lexington
    Thanks to all for caring. I raised Lucy and the others from day one of their life and they are chickens, but also pets. We live way out in the country and people think this is where they can drop off any animal they no longer want, it is hard sometimes dealing with the mess. The dog and her puppies were right back at our fence trying to get in after they got through eating what they wanted of Lucy. We did try to shoot the dog, but she ran into the field with the horses. I hate shooting any animal and I would not have to if the owners would do what is right and they have been told, either they get rid of the dog and the puppies or I will. enough is enough she has killed 6 chickens and it hurts, but it also cost lots of money to replace them. Lucy was 6 months old and has been laying eggs for 2 months now and she will be missed, but how can I replace a 6 month old laying hen, I can't. Thanks all.

6. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    So sorry. [​IMG]

7. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    I am soooo very sorry.
    JJ

Please, for Lucy, the babies and any other of your birds in the future, have animal control or the police (whoever has jurisdiction - hopefully someone does) issue a ticket to the dog's people and bill them the maximum amount you can. And I hate to say this but please get photos of Lucy if you still can.

There are a bunch of threads here on BYC where people have been through same - there is a lot of great information about how to bill etc.. Do a search under dogs or dog attacks and also screen names like horsejody and even me, jjthink, though there are plenty of others.

It's sad but with certain humans, unless their pocketbook is affected their behavior doesn't change. And our concerted actions may save someone elses birds down the line.....

Again, so very sorry [​IMG]

JJ

8. bishopschickens

bishopschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Cumberland, VA
    Sorry to hear that!

Brandon

9. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Ouch!!! Its gotta hurt to loose your chickens because of some others neglect to control their animals. The time & effort just to get your chickens to the laying stage & then their gone. So so sorry.

10. GoldenCometLover

GoldenCometLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2010
    Freeville, NY
    Hi - I am new to chickens and BYC - should I be worried about my own dog attacking my girls? [​IMG] My Molly is very excited to see them every day and she is very curious....I am slowly increasing their free range activities and they are up to 2 hours every afternoon outside thier run. Molly will follow them around a little but I have not noticed anything aggressive when the girls are out - should I be more concerned?? I love them all and want them to get along like peas and carrots....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by