we lost our sweet pepper tonight

veronica2368

In the Brooder
12 Years
Sep 26, 2007
newville pa
i just wanted to say thanks to those of you to helped me with my chicken Pepper. we did lose her tonight. i wanted to type up this little bit just to share.

hi all.....its a sad day here at our house.....we lost our 6 year old plymouth barred rock Pepper. she passed away due to complications from an impacted crop. i took her to the vet friday i had noticed that she didnt seem right on tuesday. i took her to the vet on thursday and i took her to the vet again yesterday for treatment. she had her crop flushed on thursday and a whole ton of very bad stuff came out it was flushed again on monda and nothing sour came out.,she was put on antibiotics and i was feeding her every couple of hours. i was feeding her meat baby food, ground up chicken food mixed with yogurt, and pedialyte and water. i am very sad because i am thinking that i didnt feed her enough to sustain her life. i was feeding her in the morning and at night. i know now from the vet that i should have been giving her a whole syringe full every couple of hours. and that was the bigger syringe. i was using the small one and only giving her about 2 syringes of food and one or 2 of water. i apparently misunderstood him. after the monday appt i was feeding her more but she only wanted to eat about half of what i was trying to feed her. he recommended today that i try some ensure.....i tried to do that tonight , and i had decided to tube feed her...which i have done in the past. i was extremely careful and had slowlyput the tube down in her crop careful to make sure it was goin g inthe right place...she fussed a little bit so i gently took the tube out and in the next 10 secondshe had passed away. i was holding her on my lap and hugging her as she passed. i feel responsible since i was trying to feed her...but i know she had been declining over the last 2 days quite a bit. she was sleeping all day with her head down resting on the towel underneath her ...i told her today it was ok if she was ready to go....i prayed for her not to suffer this morning, and now she will wake up underneath the redbud tree....listening to the birdies from her perch high above us..... she was a great chicken.....she had such an attitude...always hollering, we would yell..pehhhhhhperrrrrrrr and go waaaakk waakkkkkk wakkkk and she would answer you when you would do that.. she was so sweet. our coop is quiet without her. we will miss her terribly.
veronica
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v180/veronica2368/P1011026.jpg

I'm so sorry Veronica. She was beautiful and had such a sweet face! She sounds like such a sweet girl and you tried so hard to save her. I'm sure Pepper knew just how much you loved her. May you always hold the memories of her close to your heart. :aww

I'm very sorry for your loss. I know you will miss her. Before we got our chickens, I never would have believed how attached you can get. Take comfort in the fact that she is not suffering anymore.

thanks guys....I know she knows I tried...and I know she is better now. I definitely will hold her memories close to my heart. and now Pepper is with her best buddie Red.
thanks for your kind words everyone.
smile.png

veronica

I am sorry you lost your sweet beautiful chicken. try not to beat yourself up you are a great chicken mommy.

Back
Top Bottom