We lost sweet Daisy

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by suburbanduckmom, Oct 27, 2010.

1. suburbanduckmom

suburbanduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Belmont, CA
    Our sweet Muscovy duck was taken by a skunk last night. My husband went to put them in the night pen and caught the jerk in the act. By the time he got his gun the skunk had got away. I feel terrible and keep blaming myself for not putting them away earlier. I really can't take the suggestions about what I should have done but I could use some support. My heart is broken. The grief is unbelievable.

We now have one lone Pekin duck who seems to miss the bossy Daisy. I am out on disability and have a lot of time to spend with her right now. She is very sweet and sat in my lap for a really long time. The rest of the day she was sitting by the pond by the night pen watching the yard. She seems sad but isn't quacking or searching like she would when they got separated in the yard. Maybe she knows that Daisy isn't coming back.

We are trying to decide what to do next. We may get another duckling in the spring when it is warm enough to put a brooder in the garage but if Little Bit doesn't seem to be doing well we will try to find another home for her. It will break my heart.

[​IMG]

Our last picture together

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Im so sorry to read of what has happened. [​IMG] Sometimes no matter how diligent we are with care for our animals and keeping them safe- we can still loose them. No skunks near my place- but my most recent loss of an adult duck was from a spider bite. She looks like such a sweet little girl.

3. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    [​IMG] I'm so sorry that you lost her-sometimes no matter what we do, things happen.
    Maybe you could try to find an older duck to be your Pekins new buddy-everybody needs ducks.

4. suburbanduckmom

suburbanduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Belmont, CA
    Funny, the pekin was meant to be Daisy's duck...to keep her company

5. Tinkspirit70

Tinkspirit70 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2010
    Central Fla
    yes I bet the humane society, and animal shelters may have some in need of a loving home. My heart goes out to you, We lost our "Kenai" who was quite a character. He used to knock on the door for my son who was only three at the time...a Fox got him and we were heart broken. I hope you feel better soon <3

6. MrsDuck

MrsDuck Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2010
    Western WA
    I'm so sorry. I know exactly how you feel; that happened to us once, too. It was a raccoon, but same idea - just seconds too late. I still miss Mrs. Duck and it's been over a year.

[​IMG]

7. aduckstolemyheart

aduckstolemyheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Missouri
    So so sorry for your loss!

Don't blame yourself for the crimes of nature! It's not your fault. It seems obvious to me that Daisy was well loved in her life, and will honored in your memory. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by