We love Quail

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Woodlebrain, Mar 24, 2015.

1. Woodlebrain

Woodlebrain Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2015
    BC, Canada
    Hi Everyone, my husband, 2 young sons & I have grown fond of quail (is plural quail or quails?). We had 3 laying girls & 1 boy last year & loved them dearly but living in an apartment we chose to send them off to a lovely new home at a hobby farm. We are however continuing the life lessons for our boys & are expecting our first shipment of coturnix eggs in a few days & hope with all of your combined knowledge to get at least 1 (hopefully a handful) successful hatch. Cheers.

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! I have hatched and raised cortunix quail before and they are lovely little birds. They are like little bumble bees when they first hatch so small and cute. Unfortunatly I had to rehome them as my dog did not like them. This link has some great articles on hatching and raising quail https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/other-backyard-poultry-ducks-quail-turkeys-geese-etc

Also drop by the quail section of the forum for tips and tricks from other quail keepers https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/48/quail

Good luck with your incubation, I hope you have a great hatch :frow

3. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

I've never raised quail before but @Yorkshire coop has given you some good links. Good luck with the new hatch.

Nice to have you join us!

4. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Hello [​IMG]and Welcome to BYC![​IMG]

Glad to have you join! Feel free to make yourself at home!

5. dreamer5577

dreamer5577 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Welcome!! I wanted to start a quail hobby this year, but ended up going with something else instead! I would someday really love to have quails! :) Best of luck to you!

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Hello, and welcome to BYC![​IMG] I'm glad you joined our community.

I hope the quail hatching goes well!

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined! :)

8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Sending good quail hatching vibes your way [​IMG]. We'd love to get a birth announcement when they arrive. Welcome to Backyard chickens

10. Woodlebrain

Woodlebrain Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2015
    BC, Canada
    thanks everyone for the warm welcom. I am having issues raising the humidity in my home made (converted aquarium) incubator. I finally got the temp. stable but the humidity is sitting at 40%. I have a shallow bowl (with rocks in it) of water, added salt as per another thread, added a wet sponge as per another thread but that only got me to 40% (I was at 35%). Any suggestions? add more sponges? eggs don't arrive until tomorrow so I have some time to hopefully figure it out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by