we made a little mistake on pop door placement

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ozark_chickies, Dec 4, 2011.

1. ozark_chickies

ozark_chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2011
    Arkansas
    We converted a two room shed into a chicken house for two separate flocks. It has two rooms, and two pop doors. One is on the back of the building, but the other is on the side, and can't be opened without squatting right under the edge of the roof. It was raining this morning. I opened the one in back with no problems, but on the front one I got soaked. Now I will have to convince DH to put a gutter on the hen house [​IMG] .

2. Moabite

Moabite Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2010
    Utah
    Could you hook it up on a string/pulley system? Oh wait [​IMG] your chickens will still get wet without a gutter..

3. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Oh wait your chickens will still get wet without a gutter

If it's raining that hard they won't go out anyway​

4. ozark_chickies

Jun 19, 2011
    Arkansas
    Quote:If it's raining that hard they won't go out anyway

The chickens have been in and out all day, and don't mind scratching around in the rain. I'm the one that wants to stay dry.

5. henpeckedmuch

henpeckedmuch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Since you fessed up, I guess I can to. I had a pop door in my coop but because it was on the side of the coop that the sun didn't fall on in the evening the girls wouldn't use it. It was too dark and forbidding I guess, so I cut another pop door on the sunny side. The problem now is the slant of the roof slants to the front of the coop and when it rains I have the same trouble.
    My girls will come out in the rain but, if it get to bad they huddle up under the coop where it is protected. but just let a lizard, tree frog, or bug fall into the run and they are on it like white on rice, rain or no rain.

6. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    LOL I have the same problem. My door gets opened no matter what the weather, this fall we had a lot of wet weather and the rain fell on my door. I went to open it the other day and the door fell apart, it was rotted real bad.

so I've just been using a piece of wood on the inside of the coop.

7. ozark_chickies

Jun 19, 2011
    Arkansas
    I've been thinking on this all day. The rain hasn't let up, and isn't supposed to till tomorrow night, when it might change over to snow. So I'm due a few more soakings [​IMG] . After that I'm changing the door to where I can open it from inside the coop. I might have to change a few things, like hinges or the facing/trim around the doorway. It can wait till this storm system passes, though because I don't want to work under the drip from the roof [​IMG] .

I feel better about my soaking, hearing a few more people have done the same thing. It was a sunny summer day when DH cut the door, and we never thought about opening it in the rain. When we build more coops, I will defiantly be thinking about rain.

edit for spelling

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
  8. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    If you can post a picture of the roof above the door, there may be a simple way to fix it without having to install gutters

9. ozark_chickies

Jun 19, 2011
    Arkansas
    Quote:After thinking about it, I decided not to install gutters, but to take the door off the outside and install it on the inside of the hen house.I will have plenty of room to open it from inside, and stay dry [​IMG] .

10. romstr

romstr Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2011
    Perry , Ohio
    That was very helpful ....

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by